March 14, 1970 |
|Sports commentary career|
|Team(s)||Toronto Blue Jays|
|Sports||Baseball, basketball, football, hockey|
Michael Samuel Wilner (born March 14, 1970) is a Canadian baseball broadcaster for the Toronto Blue Jays. He hosts a postgame radio call-in show called BlueJaysTalk on the Fan 590, authors a blog on Sportsnet.ca/590, and calls the play-by-play during the 5th and 6th innings of the Blue Jays' radio broadcasts during home games. He graduated from the University of Toronto in 1994.
Wilner began his broadcasting career at the University of Toronto in 1988, and was named sports director there a year later. During his tenure at the University of Toronto, Wilner did play-by-play for various sports including hockey, basketball, and football. Wilner began his professional broadcasting career at the age of 19 with the Class-A Welland Pirates. He later did play-by-play for various baseball teams including the Class-A Watertown Indians, and the Double-A Hardware City Rock Cats. During the 2010 Winter Olympics, Wilner hosted 2010 Winter Games Today in Vancouver with David Alter from Whistler, British Columbia.
On June 1, 2010, Mike Wilner got into an argument during a media scrum with the Toronto Blue Jays manager Cito Gaston about Gaston's field level decision making. Wilner detailed the confrontation on his blog. A day later his employer, the Fan 590 announced Wilner would not be covering the team for several days, presumably a suspension though the Fan 590 refused to state the reason. Because Rogers Communications, owners of the Toronto Blue Jays, also owns the Fan 590, the suspension had at least the appearance of a case of media censorship. The Toronto Chapter of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America issued a letter of protest suggesting the suspension was an attempt by the Blue Jays to muzzle media criticism. The controversy received coverage in all three of Toronto's daily newspapers, largely in sympathy with Wilner.
Wilner has performed play-by-play duties for innings five and six of all Toronto Blue Jays home games since the 2014 season.
Wilner is divorced or separated, and together with his ex-wife from Buenos Aires, Argentina, they have two daughters and he resides in Mississauga. Wilner is said to be an avid player of sim-league baseball, having played in the T.H.R.O.W simulation baseball league since its inception 25 years ago.
- Rogers Sportsnet (March 15, 2014). "Blue Jays This Week - March 15 - Saturday". Sportsnet 590 The Fan (Podcast). Rogers Sportsnet. Event occurs at 0:55. Retrieved June 3, 2014.
- "Radio plans announced for Olympic Coverage". The Canadian Press. ctvolympics.ca. January 28, 2010. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- "FAN590 - Blogs - Miked Up » Blog Archive » Again?". Blog.rogersbroadcasting.com. 2010-06-02. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Canada (2010-06-06). "Confronting Gaston not a wise career move". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Commentary: Wilner’s weekend off does disservice to audience | Posted Sports | National Post". Sports.nationalpost.com. 2010-06-05. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Steve Buffery. "The curious case of Wilner". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Keith Law (August 23, 2007). "Questioning Nate Corddry". ESPN. sports.espn.go.com. Retrieved February 24, 2010.
- Mike Wilner's Sportsnet 590 Blogs
- The Official Site of the Toronto Blue Jays | Broadcasters
- Mike Wilner interview with BattersBox.ca
- Mike Wilner on Twitter