December 29, 1951|
Mobile, Alabama, United States
|Died||February 4, 2012
Jaspers Brush, New South Wales, Australia
|Fields||Underwater Cinematography, TED Speaker|
Mike deGruy (December 29, 1951 – February 4, 2012) was an American documentary filmmaker specialising in underwater cinematography. His credits include Life in the Freezer, Trials of Life, The Blue Planet and Pacific Abyss. He was also known for his storytelling, most notably, a passionate TED talk about his love of the ocean on the Mission Blue Voyage. His company, Film Crew Inc., specialized in underwater cinematography, filming for BBC, PBS, National Geographic, and The Discovery Channel. His notable accomplishments include diving beneath thermal vents in both the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean. He was a member of many deep sea expeditions and was a part of the team that first filmed the vampire squid and the nautilus. He was also part of the Deepsea Challenge, where James Cameron went to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. In 2016, production began on a feature-film documentary about his life and work titled Diving Deep. The documentary is planned for release in 2017.
In 2012, he was killed in a helicopter crash at Jaspers Brush near the town of Berry in New South Wales, Australia. The crash also claimed the life of Australian filmmaker Andrew Wight. Marine biologist Edith Widder dedicated her 2013 TED talk detailing the first filming of the giant squid to his memory.
- "Diving Deep". divingdeepmovie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- "Support the Mike deGruy Documentary". www.independent.com. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Aviation safety investigations & reports - Collision with terrain - Robinson R44, VH-COK, Jaspers Brush, NSW, 4 February 2012 Australian Transport Safety Bureau
- Celebrated Filmmakers Killed in Australian Helicopter Crash National Geographic, February 5, 2012
- Top filmmakers Mike deGruy and Andrew Wight have died in a NSW chopper crash The Australian, February 5, 2012
- on YouTube
Interview in *Gilliam, Bret C (2007). Diving Pioneers and Innovators. New World Publications. ISBN 1-878348-42-6.
- Official website
- Mike deGruy at the Internet Movie Database
- Santa Barbara Filmmaker Mike deGruy Killed in Australia Helicopter Crash
- Mike deGruy official website
- Honoring Mike
- Everybody loved Mike
- Obituary in the Santa Barbara Independent
- James Cameron remembers Mike deGruy