Mikhail Petrenko (bass)
- For the Canadian cinematographer, see Mikhail Petrenko.
Mikhail Petrenko (born December 29, 1975 in St. Petersburg, Russia) is an opera singer who sings bass. His father Mikhail is an artist. His mother Olga teaches music, piano, and organ at University of St. Petersburg.
Petrenko graduated from the Rimsky-Korsakov Saint Petersburg State Conservatory in the class of Prof. Minzhilkiev. He was awarded diplomas at the 3rd International Rimsky-Korsakov Competition for Young Opera Singers (St. Petersburg, 1998) and the 1st Elena Obraztsova Competition for Young Opera Singers. He became a finalist and diploma-winner at the Maria Callas New Verdi Voices Competition in Parma in 2000. Petrenko features on the recently released recording of Rachmaninoff's The Bells with the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Simon Rattle and released on Warner Classics. He also sung the role of Hunding in Wagner's Die Walküre under Rattle in a concert performance with the Berlin Philharmonic, available now in the Digital Concert Hall.
Highlights in the 2013-14 season included: a return to the Metropolitan Opera for Prince Galitsky (Prince Igor) and Netherlands Opera for Gounod's Faust. He also sang the role of Grand Inquisitor (Don Carlo) for the Verbier Festival. In January 2015, Petrenko returned to the Metropolitan Opera in the title role of a new production of Bluebeard's Castle. He has also performed in concerts with the Bamberger Symphoniker, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, and Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra.
Roles that Petrenko has performed include:
- Ruslan (Ruslan and Lyudmila)
- Konchak (Prince Igor)
- Prince Gremin (Eugene Onegin)
- Pimen (Boris Godunov)
- Prince Nikolai Bolkonsky, Marshal Davout (War and Peace)
- Leporello (Don Giovanni)
- Bass (stage version of Verdi's Requiem)
- King Marke (Tristan und Isolde)
- King Heinrich (Lohengrin)
- Hunding (Die Walküre)
- Hagen (Götterdämmerung)
The singer’s engagements include the roles of Hagen (Götterdämmerung) at the Berliner Staatsoper and La Scala, Figaro (Le nozze di Figaro) at the Metropolitan Opera, Philip II (Don Carlo) and Méphistophélès (Faust) at the Dutch National Opera in Amsterdam.
- Metropolitan Opera Live in HD
- Bluebeard's Castle (2015) ... Bluebeard
- Prince Igor (2014) ... Prince Galitsky
- Boris Godunov (2010) ... Pimen
- Götterdämmerung (2013 TV movie) ... Hagen
- Don Giovanni Juan (2010) ... Leporello
- Otello (2008 TV movie) ... Lodovico
- Benvenuto Cellini (2007 TV movie) ... Pope Clemens VII