|Alma mater||First Pavlov State Medical University of St. Peterburg|
|Fields||Anti-aging medicine, oncology|
Blagosklonny earned both his M.D. in internal medicine and his PhD in experimental medicine and cardiology from the First Pavlov State Medical University of St. Petersburg. He was appointed associate professor of medicine at New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY in 2002 before taking a position as a senior scientist at Ordway Research Institute (Albany, New York). Blagosklonny held this position until 2009, when he was appointed professor of oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute.
Blagosklonny's research interests include cancer and targeted cancer therapies that protect normal cells from damage, as well as the underlying mechanisms of aging (biogerontology) and anti-aging drugs.
Rapamycin and aging
Blagosklonny has formulated a hypothesis about the possible role of TOR signaling in aging and cancer and proposed using rapamycin, a popular cancer drug as a possible treatment for life extension. He advocates for rapamycin use in longevity research.
Blagosklonny is editor-in-chief of Aging, Cell Cycle, and Oncotarget. In addition, he is associate editor of Cancer Biology & Therapy and a member of the editorial board of Cell Death & Differentiation.
The peer review process employed by Oncotarget has been criticized by Jeffrey Beall, a university librarian and expert on predatory open access publishing, who also included Oncotarget and Aging on his list of "potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly open-access journals" in July 2015. Further reports on Beall's blog suggest that the substandard peer review processes for these journals are used by their respective editors-in-chief to entice prospective authors to include references to Blagosklonny's own publications in their articles (following the peer review), thereby raising his personal citation impact.
- "Distinguished physician-scientist, Dr. Mikhail Blagosklonny, joins Roswell Park Cancer Institute", Cancer Biology & Therapy, 8 (9): 753–752, May 2009, doi:10.4161/cbt.8.9.8899
- "Distinguished physician-scientist, Dr. Mikhail Blagosklonny, joins Roswell Park Cancer Institute". Cancer Biology & Therapy. 8 (9): 753–752. May 2009. doi:10.4161/cbt.8.9.8899.
- Stipp, David (2011). "A New Path to Longevity". Scientific American. 306: 32–39. doi:10.1038/scientificamerican0112-32. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Does a Real Anti-Aging Pill Already Exist? Inside Novartis's push to produce the first legitimate anti-aging drug, Business Week, 2015". Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- "Editorial Board". Aging. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Editorial Board". Cell Cycle. Taylor & Francis. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Editorial Board". Oncotarget. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Editorial board". Cancer Biology & Therapy. Taylor & Francis. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "About the journal". Cell Death & Differentiation. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- Beall, Jeffrey (19 April 2016). "Oncotarget's Peer Review is Highly Questionable". Scholarly Open Access. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- Beall, Jeffrey (2016-11-20). "LIST OF STANDALONE JOURNALS: Potential, possible, or probable predatory scholarly open-access journals". Scholarly Open Access. Archived from the original on 2 December 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Mikhail Blagosklonny's Journal Aging: A Review". Scholarly Open Access. 6 December 2016. Archived from the original on 24 December 2016. Retrieved 17 January 2017.