Mikko Hermanni Hyppönen
1969 (age 48–49)
|Other names||Mikko Hypponen|
|Occupation||Chief Research Officer for F-Secure|
|Awards||Virus Bulletin Award for Best educator in the anti-malware industry 2010
#61 Foreign Policy's Top 100 Global Thinkers in 2011#43 on the 50 Most Important People on the Web 2007 list by PC World
Hyppönen has given keynotes and presentations at a number of conferences around the world, including Black Hat, DEF CON, DLD, and RSA. In addition to data security events, Hyppönen has delivered talks at general-interest events, such as TED, TEDx, DLD, SXSW, Slush and Google Zeitgeist. He's also spoken at various military events, including AFCEA events and the NATO CCD COE's ICCC. Hyppönen is a reserve officer in the Finnish Army.
Hyppönen is a member of the advisory board of IMPACT (International Multilateral Partnership Against Cyber Threats) since 2007 together with Yevgeny Kaspersky, Hamadoun Touré, Fred Piper and John Thompson.
The two greatest tools of our time have been turned into government surveillance tools. I'm talking about the mobile phone and the internet. George Orwell was an optimist.
Computer security history
Hyppönen made international news in 2011 when he tracked down and visited the authors of the first PC virus in history, Brain.A. Hyppönen produced a documentary of the event. The documentary was published on YouTube.
Hyppönen has been credited by Twitter for improving Twitter's security.
- Mikko Hyppönen interviewed on the TV show Triangulation on the TWiT.tv network
- Helen Martin (November 2010). "Conference report, Vancouver expedition" (PDF). pp. 6–7. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "short bio".
- "The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers".
- "50 Most Important People on the Web". March 5, 2007.
- "Quote of the Hypponen Law: Whenever an appliance is described as being "smart", it's vulnerable".
- "Mikko Hypponen background at TEDxRotterdam".
- "TED profile".
- Shnayerson, Michael (January 2004). "The Code Warrior". Vanity Fair. Retrieved 2013-09-13.
- "Mikko Hypponen: Behind Enemy Lines (Hack In The Box Security Conference 2012)".
- "The Finnish Defence Forces Annual Report 2010" (PDF).
- "List of the members of the advisory board of IMPACT".
- "Wired Columns by Mikko Hypponen". 2012-06-01.
- Mikko Hyppönnen (2012-06-05). "A Pandora's Box We Will Regret Opening".
- "Articles by Mikko Hyppönen". Scientific American.
- Foreign Policy. The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers. December 2011.
- "Bank Infosecurity interview with Hypponen on Cybercrime Unicorns".
- GCHQ and NSA outsourcing cyber security tasks to third-party vendors V3.co.uk, 2013
- "USA Today – Documentary examines the inception of PC viruses 25 years ago". 2011-03-08.
- "Fighting viruses, defending the net". TED.
- "YouTube – Brain: Searching for the first PC virus in Pakistan".
- "Scientific American – Malware Goes Mobile" (PDF).
- "Twitter Security – The following people have helped us keep Twitter safe for everyone. We very much appreciate their efforts". Archived from the original on 2014-07-10.
- "The Malware Museum".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mikko Hyppönen.|
- Official website
- Mikko Hyppönen at TED
- Hypponen and Nyman (2017), The Internet of (Vulnerable) Things: On Hypponen's Law, Security Engineering, and IoT Legislation. Technology Innovation Management Review, 7(4) 5–11.
- References on Embassy cables leaked by WikiLeaks
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Jake Edge: Living with the surveillance state a summary of Hyppönen's talk at LinuxCon Europe 2013. LWN.net
- 10. April 2017, TTÜ Haridustehnoloogiakeskus, Public lecture by Mikko Hyppönen at Mektory, youtube.com