This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Role||Stealth Interceptor aircraft|
|Primary user||Russian Air Force|
The Mikoyan MiG-41 or PAK DP (Russian: ПАК ДП, short for: Перспективный авиационный комплекс дальнего перехвата, romanized: Perspektivny aviatsionny kompleks dal'nego perekhvata, lit. ''Prospective air complex for long-range interception'') is a stealth interceptor aircraft/heavy fighter under development by Mikoyan. The aircraft is intended to replace the Mikoyan MiG-31 in the Russian Air Force in mid-2020s. According to the Russian defence analyst Vasily Kashin, the MiG-41 would be considered as a 5++ or 6th generation project.
As of July 2016, not much information was available apart from the statement that such aircraft is planned for development, no official data was available concerning its capabilities. It was speculated that it could enter service by the mid-2020s or 2030s. As an interceptor, its primary mission was rumored to offset future reconnaissance aircraft currently being developed by the United States of America and China. To achieve the high speeds rumoured for the aircraft, the aircraft would need to be equipped with ramjet or turboramjet engines.
The design of the MiG-41 is planned to be finalized by the end of 2019, at the same time the research work will be completed.
In an interview for Russia Today, the Director General of RSK MiG, Ilya Tarasenko, said that it would be a new construction capable of Mach 4–4.3, equipped with an anti-missile laser, and claimed would be able to operate at very high altitudes and even in near space. He also stated that it could be transformed into an unmanned version later. If purchased by the Russian Air Force, he claimed that the first production MiG-41 would be completed in 2025.
The aircraft will likely cruise at speeds of at least Mach 3 (3,675 km/h; 2,284 mph) and fly at high altitudes (at levels between the stratopause and the tropopause, ie below 45,000 meters and above 12,000 meters) to cover the most amount of Russia's very large territory in the shortest period of time. It could use the Izdeliye 30 engines currently under development for the Su-57. The MiG-41 will use stealth technology.
An unmanned version is under consideration.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2019-05-18.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "МиГ-41 опустит воздушную разведку США с небес на землю". svpressa.ru. 10 November 2018. Archived from the original on 19 November 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Pike, John. "PAK DP". www.globalsecurity.org. Archived from the original on 19 November 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "MiG-41: Russia Wants to Build a Super 6th Generation Fighter". Global national interest. Archived from the original on 2017-04-14. Retrieved 2017-04-14.
- "A new MiG-41 aircraft may be developed on the basis of MiG-31 fighter-interceptor". Ru aviation. 2014-03-05. Archived from the original on 2017-08-31. Retrieved 2017-04-14.
- "Russia's MiG aircraft corporation working on fifth-generation fighter jet". TASS. 17 August 2018. Archived from the original on 11 September 2018. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- Matveev, Vadim (30 December 2015). "Russia developing new interceptor aircraft". rbth.com. Archived from the original on 23 June 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Vadim Matveev (30 December 2015). "Russia developing new interceptor aircraft". Russia and India Report. Archived from the original on 31 January 2016. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Armia-2017: Informacje o MiG-41" (in Polish). Altair Agencja Lotnicza. 25 August 2017. Archived from the original on 28 August 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "MiG lavora al progetto PAK-DP con il nuovo MiG-41 – Analisi Difesa". www.analisidifesa.it. Archived from the original on 20 November 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Majumdar, Dave (21 August 2018). "Russia's Mach 3 MiG-41: Everything We Know". nationalinterest.org. Archived from the original on 20 November 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- Перспективный дальний перехватчик будет малозаметным
- Majumdar, Dave (22 August 2017). "Russia's PAK-DP Interceptor: The Unmanned Plane that Could Replace the MiG-31?". nationalinterest.org. Archived from the original on 26 November 2018. Retrieved 26 November 2018.