Mildred Buxton, Countess Buxton
Mildred Buxton, Countess of Buxton GBE, JP (died 7 December 1955), born Mildred Anne Smith, the daughter of Hugh Colin Smith and Constance Maria Josepha (née Adeane), married Sydney Charles Buxton, 1st and last Earl of Buxton, son of Charles Buxton and Emily Mary Holland, on 7 July 1896 at Roehampton, Surrey.
As a result of her marriage, she was styled as Viscountess of Buxton, effective 11 May 1914, and later as the Countess of Buxton, effective 8 November 1920.
She had three children, two of whom predeceased her:
- Lady Doreen Maria Josepha Sydney Buxton (b. 29 November 1897 – d. 28 July 1923)
- 2nd Lt. Hon. Denis Bertram Sydney Buxton (b. 29 November 1897 – d. 9 October 1917)
- Lady Althea Constance Dorothy Sydney Buxton (b. 2 August 1910 – d. 25 July 2004)
She was invested as a Dame Grand Cross, Order of the British Empire (GBE) in 1919.
She died on 7 December 1955.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, pp. 621–22
- G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910–1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, UK: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XIII, p. 188