Mildred D. Taylor
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Mildred D. Taylor|
|Born||Mildred DeLois Taylor
September 13, 1943
Jackson, Mississippi, U.S.
|Notable works||Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry|
|Notable awards||Newbery Medal
Taylor was born in Jackson, Mississippi, but lived there only a short amount of time, then moved to Toledo, Ohio, where she spent most of her childhood. She now lives in Colorado with her daughter. Taylor has expressed her views on the Great Depression as an economical crisis, as well as slavery.
Many of her works are based on stories of her family that she heard while growing up. She has stated that these anecdotes became very clear in her mind, and in fact, once she realized that adults talked about the past, "I began to visualize all the family who had once known the land, and I felt as if I knew them, too ..." Taylor has talked about how much history was in the stories; some stories took place during times of slavery and some post-slavery.
Taylor's most famous book is Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. In 1977, the book won the Newbery Medal. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry is the middle book, chronologically, in the Logans series that also includes titles such as The Land, Song of the Trees, Let the Circle Be Unbroken, and The Road to Memphis. Her collective contributions to children's literature resulted in her being awarded the inaugural NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature in 2003.
- Song of the Trees, 1975
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, 1976
- Let the Circle Be Unbroken, 1981
- The Gold Cadillac, 1987
- The Friendship, 1987
- Mississippi Bridge, 1990
- The Road To Memphis, 1992
- The Well: David's Story, 1995
- The Land, 2001
Body of Work
Song of the Trees
- First prize (African-American category), Council on Interracial Books for Children, 1973
- Outstanding Book of the Year Citation, The New York Times, 1975
- Jane Addams Honors Citation, 1976
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
- NSK Neustadt Prize for Children's Literature 2003
- Jane Addams Honor Citation, 1977
- Notable Book Citation, American Library Association, 1976
- Newbery Medal, 1977
- Buxtehuder Bulle Award, 1985
Let the Circle Be Unbroken
- Outstanding Book of the Year Citation, The New York Times, 1981
- Jane Addams Honor Citation, 1982
- American Book Award nomination, 1982
- Coretta Scott King Award, 1982
- Coretta Scott King Award, 1988
- Boston Globe–Horn Book Award for fiction, 1988
The Gold Cadillac
- Notable Book Citation, The New York Times, 1987
- Christopher Award, 1988
The Road to Memphis
- Special Award, Children's Book Council, 1988
- Coretta Scott King Award, 1990
- Christopher Award, 1990
The Well: David's Story
- Jane Addams Book Award, Jane Addams Peace Council, 1996
- Coretta Scott King Award, 2002, ALA Best Book for Young Adults & Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction
- "Acceptance of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award for The Friendship". The Horn Book Magazine. March 1989. pp. 179–80.
- "Logans series" at Goodreads.
- "My life as a writer. (Mildred D. Taylor)". World Literature Today. 1 May 2004. Retrieved 12 April 2014. (subscription required (. ))
- "2003 – Mildred D. Taylor". The Neustadt Prize. Retrieved 12 April 2014.