The site of Milecastle 38
Milecastle 38 (Hotbank) was a milecastle on Hadrian's Wall in the vicinity of Hotbank Farm, (grid reference NY77276813). It is notable for the joint inscription bearing the names of the emperor Hadrian and Aulus Platorius Nepos, the governor of Brittania at the time the Wall was built.
The milecastle was excavated in 1935 and found to be 18 metres (59 ft) east-west by 15 metres (49 ft) north-south. It was found to have a short axis, with a Type I gateway. Pottery finds indicated an occupation of the 4th century. There was a rectangular building in the south-west corner and a causeway, 3.6 metres (12 ft) wide, to the east. A tombstone was found, inscribed "...us.. xit annis... mensibus du...ebus quinque", re-used as a pivot stone in the south gateway.
Milecastle 38 is notable for the joint inscription bearing the names of the emperor Hadrian and Aulus Platorius Nepos, the governor of Brittania at the time the Wall was built. The left hand part was found c. 1715 and the right hand part was found in 1829.
The stone reads:
- IMP CAES TRAIAN
- HADRIANI AVG
- LEG II AVG
The first two lines identifies the emperor Hadrian, the third the Legion – Legio secunda Augusta (Second Augustan Legion) which erected the plaque, and the fourth the governor Aulus Platorius Nepos.
Each milecastle on Hadrian's Wall had two associated turret structures. These turrets were positioned approximately one-third and two-thirds of a Roman mile to the west of the Milecastle, and would probably have been manned by part of the milecastle's garrison. The turrets associated with Milecastle 38 are known as Turret 38A and Turret 38B.
The milecastle, and the sites of both turrets, are accessible via the Hadrian's Wall Path.
- Nikolaus Pevsner, John Grundy, Grace McCombie, Peter Ryder, Humphrey Welfare, Northumberland, 1992, Yale University Press, 704 pages ISBN 978-0-300-09638-5
- MILECASTLE 38, Pastscape, retrieved 3 December 2013
- MONUMENT NO. 1004316, Pastscape, retrieved 3 December 2013
- Roger J.A.Wilson "A Guide to the Roman Remains in Britain" 2002 Constable, London ISBN 1-84119-318-6 p467
- MONUMENT NO. 15229, Pastscape, retrieved 3 December 2013
- TURRET 38A, Pastscape, retrieved 3 December 2013
- TURRET 38B, Pastscape, retrieved 3 December 2013
Media related to Milecastle 38 at Wikimedia Commons