Žic-Fuchs in 2013
|Minister of Science and Technology|
22 February 1999 – 27 January 2000
|Prime Minister||Zlatko Mateša|
|Preceded by||Ivica Kostović|
|Succeeded by||Hrvoje Kraljević|
|Born||10 August 1954|
|Alma mater||University of Zagreb|
(Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences)
Milena Žic-Fuchs (Croatian pronunciation: [milena ʒit͡s fuks]; born 10 August 1954) is a Croatian linguist and full member of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. She formerly served as the Croatian Minister of Science and Technology in the cabinet of Zlatko Mateša from February 1999 to January 2000.
Žic Fuchs graduated from the University of Zagreb's Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FFZG) in 1977, majoring in English language and literature and ethnology. In 1982 she received an MA in linguistics and in 1989 a PhD, also in linguistics. She worked at the faculty since the late 1970s in various lecturing roles and from 2002 holds position of Chair of Linguistics at the Department of English.
She is credited with introducing cognitive linguistics into the Croatian linguistic community with her 1991 book Knowledge of Language and Knowledge of the World (Croatian: Znanje o jeziku i znanje o svijetu).
In 2013 Milena Žic Fuchs was elected member of Academia Europaea.
From 2014 she is an active member of the HERCULES Group (Higher Education Research and Culture in European Society) within Academia Europaea. In 2016 Milena Žic Fuchs was a member of the EC High Level Group for the Interim Evaluation of H2020 on European Research Infrastructures, including e-Infrastructures. Also, in 2016 she was appointed member of the EC High Level Group on Maximising Impact of EU Research and Innovation Programmes, chaired by Professor Emeritus Pascal Lamy.
- "Žic-Fuchs ministrica znanosti, Đurkić ministar poljoprivrede". Vjesnik (in Croatian). 23 February 1999. Archived from the original on 17 May 2001. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- "Biographies : European Science Foundation". European Science Foundation. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Milena Žic-Fuchs - Biografija" (in Croatian). Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Retrieved 14 December 2010.
- "Milena ZIC FUCHS, Professor, Croatian Academy of Sciences & Arts, University of Zagreb, Croatia". 2nd International Conference on Research Infrastructures. Retrieved 10 June 2014.
- "Milena Žic-Fuchs - Biography". Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Retrieved 19 December 2016.