January 1, 1946 |
Milena Canonero (born 1 January 1946) is an Italian costume designer, who has worked for both film and stage productions. She has won four Academy Awards for Best Costume Design, and been nominated for the award nine times.
Born in Turin, Italy, Canonero studied art, design history and costume design in Genoa. She then moved to England, where she began working in small theatre and film productions. While designing for commercials in London, she met many film directors.
Her first major film work as a costume designer was in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange (1971) after having met Kubrick on the set of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). She worked with Kubrick again on Barry Lyndon (1975), for which she won her first Oscar with Ulla-Britt Söderlund, and The Shining (1980). Her second Oscar win was for Chariots of Fire (1981), directed by Hugh Hudson.
Canonero has also designed the costumes for several stagings directed by Otto Schenk, such as Il trittico (Puccini, Vienna State Opera 1979), As You Like It (Shakespeare, Salzburg Festival 1980), Die Fledermaus (Strauss, Vienna State Opera 1980), Andrea Chénier (Giordano, Vienna State Opera 1981), and Arabella (Strauss, Metropolitan Opera 1983). For director Luc Bondy she created the costumes for new productions of Puccini's Tosca (Metropolitan Opera, 2009), and of Euripides' Helena (Burgtheater, Vienna, 2010).
In 2001, Canonero received the Career Achievement Award in Film from the Costume Designers Guild. In 2005, Canonero won the guild's award for excellence in contemporary film for her work on Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004). She won her third Oscar for Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette (2006).
Canonero reteamed with Anderson in 2014 on The Grand Budapest Hotel, for which she received her ninth nomination and fourth win at the 87th Academy Awards. She also won a BAFTA award for her work on the film.
|1976||Academy Award||Best Costume Design||Barry Lyndon (1975)|
|1982||Academy Award||Best Costume Design||Chariots of Fire (1981)|
|1982||BAFTA Award||Best Costume Design||Chariots of Fire (1981)|
|1986||BAFTA Award||Best Costume Design||The Cotton Club (1984)|
|2007||Academy Award||Best Costume Design||Marie Antoinette (2006)|
|2015||Academy Award||Best Costume Design||The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)|
- "Milena Canonero". Costume Designers Guild Website. Retrieved 2008-09-15.
- Anderson, Ariston (February 23, 2015). "Oscars 2015: Italy Celebrates Fourth Costume Design Win for Milena Canonero". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- Mary, Rourke (May 23, 1986). "One of the Hottest Properties in TV Is the Costume Designer". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Publishing. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "Awards honor costume design". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Publishing. February 22, 2005. Retrieved February 26, 2015.
- "87th Academy Awards". Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- Fabienne Liptay (ed.), Milena Canonero. Film-Konzepte 40 (edition text + kritik, 2015).
|This theatrical biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|