|Yomiuri Giants – No. 39|
August 23, 1988 |
|MLB: May 5, 2012 for the San Diego Padres|
|NPB: April 8, 2015 for the Yomiuri Giants|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||5.32|
(through July 3, 2015)
|Earned run average||2.25|
Miles Tice Mikolas (born August 23, 1988), nicknamed "Lizard King", is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently with Yomiuri Giants. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the San Diego Padres and Texas Rangers.
San Diego Padres
Mikolas pitched as a reliever for the Class-A Fort Wayne TinCaps in 2010 and posted a 2.20 ERA in 60 games. He began 2011 with the High-A Lake Elsinore Storm and, after posting a 1.13 ERA in 34 games, was promoted to the Double-A San Antonio Missions on July 4. Mikolas finished out 2011 by compiling a 1.67 ERA as a reliever for the Missions over 28 games. Mikolas was a non-roster invitee to 2012 spring training. He was assigned to the minor league camp later in the spring and started the year with San Antonio.
Mikolas was called up to the majors for the first time directly from Double-A San Antonio on May 5, 2012. He made his debut at Petco Park against the Florida Marlins, whom he grew up rooting for. Mikolas was sent down to the Triple-A Tucson Padres on June 5 after making 13 appearances and allowing 5 earned runs in 132⁄3 innings. He was recalled on July 5 and made two more appearances before being optioned back to Triple-A. He was recalled from Tucson again on August 5, and stayed with the big league club through the rest of the year. For the season, Mikolas amassed a 3.62 ERA and 23 strike-outs versus 15 walks over 321⁄3 innings.
Mikolas was designated for assignment by the Padres on November 20, 2013.
The Padres traded Mikolas to the Pittsburgh Pirates, along with Jaff Decker, for Alex Dickerson after the 2013 season. During that offseason, the Pirates traded him to the Texas Rangers in exchange for Chris McGuiness. Mikolas was called up to the Rangers' 25 man roster on July 1, 2014. Mikolas started his first career game against the Baltimore Orioles giving up 3 hits 3 runs in 5.1 innings pitched in a no decision.
The Rangers released Mikolas on November 20, 2014.
Mikolas earned the nickname "Lizard King" when, on a bet, he ate a lizard in the bullpen during a 2011 Arizona Fall League game. The video of Mikolas eating the lizard was posted to YouTube. Mikolas is married to Lauren Mikolas, who has become famous in Japan.
- "U.S. baseball player joins Tokyo's Yomiuri Giants, but it's his wife that's getting the attention". RocketNews24. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Capozzi, Joe (May 7, 2012). "'Great feeling' for Padres pitcher Mikolas, a Jupiter High grad, to make debut vs. Marlins". The Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Center, Bill (July 4, 2011). "Daily Update: Darnell, Brach, Gyorko, Mikolas promoted". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Center, Bill (March 25, 2012). "Padres Report: Five sent to minor league camp". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Huston Street to go on disabled list with shoulder strain
- Brock, Corey (July 5, 2012). "Padres recall Mikolas to bolster bullpen". MLB.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Padres recall RHP Miles Mikolas from Triple-A". azfamily.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Padres add heat to mix with reliever Miles Mikolas, the legendary Lizard King of the San Diego bullpen". MLBlogs Network. mlbblogger. May 8, 2012. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)