Teller at the 2015 San Diego Comic-Con International
|Born||Miles Alexander Teller
February 20, 1987
Downingtown, Pennsylvania, United States
|Education||Bachelor of Fine Arts|
|Alma mater||Tisch School of Arts|
Miles Alexander Teller (born February 20, 1987) is an American actor and musician. He made his feature film debut in Rabbit Hole (2010). Since then, he has acted in Footloose (2011), Project X (2012), and That Awkward Moment (2014).
Teller had the lead roles in the critically acclaimed films The Spectacular Now (2013) and Whiplash (2014). He portrayed Peter Hayes in the commercially successful The Divergent Series, starred as Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic in the film Fantastic Four (2015), and will headline the upcoming biopic Bleed for This (2015), playing boxer Vinny Paz.
Early life and education
Teller was born in Downingtown, Pennsylvania, the son of Merry (née Flowers), a real estate agent, and Mike Teller (born 1954), a nuclear power plant engineer. His parents are from Carneys Point, New Jersey. He has two older sisters, Erin and Dana. His paternal grandfather was of Russian Jewish descent, while his other ancestry is English, Irish, Polish, and French.
He lived in several places as a child, because of his father's career, spending time in Citrus County, Florida, after moving from Cape May, New Jersey. He also lived in Pennsylvania and Delaware. Teller attended Lecanto High School, Florida, where he played the saxophone, was a drummer for a church youth group band, and was president of the drama club. He can also play piano and guitar and was on the baseball team, hoping to turn professional. Aside from high school, Teller worked as a server at a restaurant called Crackers. He earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Tisch School of the Arts at New York University, where he studied method acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute.
Before making his feature film debut Teller appeared in many short films. After graduating from Tisch School of Arts in 2009, he made his debut in 2010's Rabbit Hole, after Nicole Kidman handpicked him for the role. Teller appeared in the stage musical Footloose in high school. Years later, he was cast in the film remake of Footloose (2011) starring Kenny Wormald, in which he played the same character as in his high school musical.
In 2013, he starred in 21 & Over, written and directed by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore. That year, he began reaching critical success after starring in the James Ponsoldt film, The Spectacular Now, for which he won the Dramatic Special Jury Award for Acting at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, with co-star Shailene Woodley.
Also in 2013, he appeared in an in-depth interview and photo shoot in Hero magazine. In 2014, he co-starred in the comedy That Awkward Moment, alongside Zac Efron and Michael B. Jordan, appeared in the science fiction film Divergent, co-starring again with Shailene Woodley, and starred as a drummer in the well-reviewed drama Whiplash (2014), which premiered at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival and opened in theaters in October 2014. Whiplash won Best Film Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Supporting Actor for J.K. Simmons, and was nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Picture at the 87th Academy Awards.
In 2015, he starred in a new film version of the Fantastic Four, as Mister Fantastic, alongside Jamie Bell, Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara. He will star in the upcoming film Bleed for This (2015) with Aaron Eckhart and Katey Sagal, as boxer Vinny Paz. In February 2015, it was announced that Teller would join Jonah Hill in the Todd Phillips directed film Arms and the Dudes (2016). In January 2014, Teller was also cast to portray Dan Aykroyd in Steven Conrad's untitled John Belushi biopic.
|2007||A Very Specific Recipe||Lee||Short film|
|2008||The Musicians||Miguel||Short film|
|2009||The Unusuals||James Boorland||TV series (Episode: "Boorland Day")|
|2010||The Track Meet||Andrew||Short film|
|2010||Rabbit Hole||Jason||Supporting Character|
|2011||Footloose||Willard Hewitt||Supporting Character|
|2012||Project X||Himself||Supporting Character|
|2013||The Spectacular Now||Sutter Keely||Main character|
|2013||21 & Over||Miller||Main character|
|2014||Whiplash||Andrew Neiman||Main character|
|2014||That Awkward Moment||Daniel||Supporting Character|
|2014||Divergent||Peter Hayes||Supporting Character|
|2014||Two Night Stand||Alec||Main character|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Peter Hayes||Supporting Character|
|2015||Fantastic Four||Reed Richards / Mister Fantastic||Main character|
|2015||Bleed for This||Vinny Pazienza||Post-production|
|2016||Arms and the Dudes||David Packouz||Post-production|
|2016||The Divergent Series: Allegiant||Peter Hayes||Filming|
|TBA||Get a Job||Will Davis||Pre-production|
Awards and nominations
|2013||Sundance Film Festival||Sundance Film Festival Special Jury Prize for Dramatic Acting (shared with Shailene Woodley)||The Spectacular Now||Won|
|Alliance of Women Film Journalists||Alliance of Women Journalists Award for Best Depiction of Nudity, Sexuality, or Seduction||Nominated|
|Indiana Film Critics Association||Indiana Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor||Nominated|
|2014||MTV Movie Awards||MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss (shared with Shailene Woodley)||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Award for Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|Gotham Independent Film Awards||Gotham Independent Film Award for Best Actor||Whiplash||Nominated|
|2015||BAFTA||BAFTA's Rising Star||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Satellite Award for Best Actor||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Male Performance||Nominated|
|Best Musical Moment||Nominated|
|CinemaCon Award||Ensemble Award (shared with Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, and Jamie Bell)||Fantastic Four||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Scene Stealer||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Nominated|
- "Miles Alexander Teller Voting Record". Find The Data. Florida Department of State. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- "Miles Teller on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Miles Teller on his Breakout 'Whiplash' Role and Blushing for Nicole Kidman". Variety.
- Swanson, Carl. "Miles Teller on Awkward, Fame, and Efron". Vulture. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "Rabbit Hole presskit" (PDF). Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Michael Williams/Today's Sunbeam (November 1, 2011). "Man with local ties on ABC show Wednesday". NJ.com. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Greco, Patti (August 27, 2013). "Miles Teller on The Spectacular Now, Moonwalking, and the Divergent–Hunger Games Comparisons". Vulture.cocm. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Persall, Steve (November 11, 2014). "Snoopy? How rising star Miles Teller, a Lecanto High grad, found acting (w/video)". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Miller, Gerri. "Hollywood Now: That Awkward Moment, Labor Day, Somewhere Slow". InterfaithFamily. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- follers (February 20, 1987). "Miles Teller profile at". Ethnicelebs.com. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- Dailey, Jennifer (April 14, 2009). Man with local ties on ABC show Wednesday, NJ.com; accessed March 17, 2014.
- Whitty, Stephen (March 15, 2015). "Miles Teller on 'Insurgent,' 'Whiplash' and his not-so-secret crush". NJ.com. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Connor, Katie L. (August 30, 2013). "Unexpected Crush Alert: Miles Teller". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved December 10, 2013.
- Weston, Hillary (October 7, 2014). "Miles Teller: Cinema’s Next Great Bad Ass?". Blackbook. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "Mr Fantastic Miles Teller on baseball dreams and growth spurts". Belfast Telegraph. February 6, 2015. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Apatow, Maude (August 8, 2013). "Maude Apatow Gets the Scoop from Miles Teller on 'The Spectacular Now'". Teen Vogue. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- Morris, Alex (December 2, 2014). "How Miles Teller Drummed His Way to the Top". Vulture. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Kaufman, Amy (October 8, 2014). "'Whiplash' director, stars march to a friendly beat — off-screen". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Yamato, Jen (November 8, 2010). Miles Teller on Rabbit Hole, Nicole Kidman and Cutting Footloose. Movieline
- Durbin, Jonathan (2011). Miles Teller. Interview
- Weinstein, Joshua L. (May 26, 2011). Miles Teller Joins Relativity's '21 and Over.' The Wrap
- Hynes, Eric; Jeremy Kinser; Nate von Zumwalt (January 26, 2013). "2013 Sundance Film Festival Awards Updates". Sundance Film Festival. Sundance Institute. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "HERO — HERO 9: Suburban Heat (English)".
- Gilchrist, Todd (November 6, 2013). "'Divergent' Star Miles Teller Had Fun Being A Jerk To Shailene Woodley". Forbes. Forbes publishing. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Gleiberman, Owen (January 17, 2014). "Sundance: 'Whiplash' is the movie that could make Miles Teller a star". Entertainment Weekly. CNN. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "Academy Awards 2015: Complete list of Oscar nominees and winners". LA Times. February 22, 2015. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Denham, Jess (January 7, 2015). "Baftas 2015: Jack O'Connell, Margot Robbie and Shailene Woodley among rising star nominees". The Independent. Retrieved January 7, 2015.
- Williams-Shaw, H. "‘Divergent’ Sequels Get Release Dates; Director Neil Burger Not Returning". Screenrant. Retrieved June 7, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (February 19, 2014). "'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed". Variety. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "'What's the Deal?': Jeff Sneider on 'Fantastic Four' Casting, Fan Expectations (Video)". The Wrap. February 21, 2014.
- "Aaron Eckhart, Miles Teller Board Vinnie Pazienza Boxing Biopic". Variety (magazine). February 3, 2014. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 12, 2015). "‘Whiplash’ Star Miles Teller Joins Jonah Hill In ‘Arms And The Dudes’". Deadline.com. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- Kit, Borys (January 18, 2014). "Miles Teller to Play Dan Aykroyd in Belushi Biopic, Says Star Emile Hirsch". The Hollywood Reporter. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Swanson, Carl (February 2, 2014). "Nobody’s Stalking Miles Teller: The Sundance Breakout on That Awkward Moment, Fame, and Getting Out of Florida". Vulture. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- "The Hollywood Reporter & Samsung With The Cinema Society Host A Screening Of A24's 'The Spectacular Now'". Getty Images. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "MILES TELLER ON VIAGRA, VEGAS, AND THOSE SHAILENE RUMORS". Elle (magazine). Retrieved April 4, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Miles Teller.|