Milestones Museum at night
|Established||1 December 2000|
|Location||Basingstoke, Hampshire, England|
|Public transit access||Basingstoke railway station and Centre Shuttle|
Milestones Museum of Living History is a museum located on the Leisure Park in Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK. Milestones is made up of a network of streets that have been recreated according to those found in Victorian and 1930s Hampshire.
In the year running 2007/8 the museum received 88,338 visitors.
Features include recreations of:
- a Victorian public house, the Baverstock Arms, named for a 19th-century Alton brewer.
- a Victorian railway station
- a Victorian Ironmonger
- a Victorian watchmaker and jeweller
- a Victorian terraced house
- a 1930s town with shops
Horse drawn vehicles
These include a removals van, a fire engine and a showman's caravan.
Include two road rollers by Taskers and one by Wallis and Steevens. There is also a Taskers Little Giant traction engine displayed with a log trailer
There are some 45 commercial vehicles along with private cars, two generations of motor buses and a trolleybus.
Railway and tramway stock
- Avonside Engine Company 0-6-0ST No. 1572 "Woolmer" built 1910, ex-Longmoor Military Railway, on loan from the National Collection.
- Great Northern Railway 7-plank open wagon No. 7329
- Portsmouth electric tramcar No. 84
Between February and April 2014 the museum hosted an exhibition of LEGO models of extinct animals, constructed by Bright Bricks. In 2018, the exhibition returned, focusing on mythical creatures.
A Victorian themed Christmas Market is held in early December.
- "Sir George Young: Previous Engagements: 2000". Retrieved 6 March 2009.
- "At a Meeting of Hampshire County Council held at The Castle, Winchester on Thursday, 14 December 2000 at 11.00 a.m." 14 December 2000. Archived from the original on 23 January 2005. Retrieved 6 March 2009.
- Katie Barnett (20 August 2008). "Visitors flocking to town museum". Basingstoke Gazette. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Hampshire and Winchester museums and art leased to trust". BBC News. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2014.
- "What you'll find in Milestones Living History Museum". .hants.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 5 June 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Explore the LEGO Lost World Zoo at Milestones Museum". Basingstoke Gazette. 29 January 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2014.
- "Christmas Market". Milestones Museum. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Milestones Museum, Basingstoke.|
|This article related to a museum in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|