St John the Evangelist Church, Milford
|Milford shown within Surrey|
4,156 (2011 Census. Ward)
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
Milford is a large village, situated south west of Godalming in Surrey, England. Nearby villages include Witley, Elstead and Eashing, and the hamlets of Enton and Hydestile. It is situated in the Borough of Waverley.
Until the 1990s, the A3 road ran through the village (it now bypasses it to the west). Milford is still an important road junction, where the A283 road and A286 roads leave the A3 and run south to West Sussex. Milford railway station is on the mainline between London Waterloo and Portsmouth Harbour station. Milford Hospital is the local hospital that serves the village.
Milford has a primary school, Milford Infant School and a secondary school, Rodborough School.
The Church of England Parish Church is St. John the Evangelist, in Church Road. There is also St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church on Portsmouth Road, and Milford Baptist Church on New Road. Milford has a post office, a Chinese takeaway shop, a fish and chip shop, a water softening shop, a shop selling art and crafts made by people in the area, called the Surrey Guild Craft shop, located at the top of Moushill lane, an Antique and Brocante shop, veterinary surgery, an off-licence, a butcher and fishmonger, a dry-cleaner, a corner shop co-op, a Tesco Express, an estate agency, a hairdresser, two beauticians, two doctors' surgeries, a petrol station, a swing park and two pubs.
The village also has a cricket green and a football pitch which is home to Milford & Witley Football Club and Milford Cricket Club, who have two teams who play in the Saturday I'Anson League. Here, the Burton Pavilion also hosts dance, yoga and pilates classes. Another green in the village, the Jubilee field, is used for village fêtes and travelling funfairs & circuses. Milford also has Brownie and Guide Companies and Scouting units. Milford also has a Bowling Green and club. Additionally, Milford is the home of Milford Pumas Youth Football Club, a community youth football club serving 7- to 17-year-old boys and girls.
- James Archer, painter
- Philip Barker-Webb, botanist
- Sir Peter Bottomley, Conservative Member of Parliament for Worthing West
- Virginia Bottomley, Baroness Bottomley of Nettlestone, Conservative peer and former Secretary of State for Health
- Sir George Deacon, oceanographer
- Mark Gravett, Hampshire cricketer
- Richard Harvey, Archdeacon of Halifax
- Francis Holl, engraver
- Dame Penelope Keith, actress
- Mark Lambert, Harlequins rugby player
- George Luker, painter
- Jamie Mackie, Queens Park Rangers and Scotland footballer
- Humphry Osmond, psychiatrist
- Nora S. Unwin, children's author and illustrator
- John Dawson Watson, painter
- Bob Wyatt, Worcestershire and England cricketer
Appearances in Television
- Census data
- "Waveney ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- A Brief History of Time retrieved 17/1/07
- Doctor Who Locations
Media related to Milford, Surrey at Wikimedia Commons