Military-Industrial Commission of the USSR
The Military-Industrial Commission of the USSR or VPK (Russian: военно-промышленная комиссия) served as a central management body for the Soviet defence industry from 1957 to 1991. The VPK was a Commission of the Presidium of the Council of Ministers, and a deputy chairman of the Council headed it. The Soviet VPK's primary function was to facilitate plan fulfillment by easing bottlenecks, enforcing inter-ministerial cooperation, and overseeing the availability of resources.
The VPK was officially formed in December 1957.
Chairmen of the VPK
- 1957-63 Dmitri Feodorovich Ustinov (Russian: Усти́нов, Дми́трий Фёдорович).
- 1963-85 Leonid Vasil’evich Smirnov (Russian: Смирнов, Леонид Васильевич).
- 1985-91 Yuri Dmitriyevich Maslyukov (Russian: Маслюков, Юрий Дмитриевич).
- People's Commissariat of Defence Industry of the USSR (A preceding organization that was broken up in 1939)
- People's Commissariat of Arms of the USSR