Military Institute of Science and Technology
|মিলিটারি ইন্সটিটিউট অব সায়েন্স অ্যান্ড টেকনোলজি (এমআইএসটি)|
|Motto||Technology for Advancement|
|Established||19 April 1998|
|Chairman||Honourable Minister of Education, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Rector||Major General Md. Abdul Quadir (Commandant)|
|Campus||Urban, 50 Acres.|
|Affiliations||Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP)|
Military Institute of Science and Technology (Bengali: মিলিটারি ইন্সটিটিউট অব সায়েন্স অ্যান্ড টেকনোলজি ) commonly known as MIST is an advanced Engineering Institution of Bangladesh. It is the pioneer Institution of Bangladesh Armed Forces for Engineering education. Initially, MIST was affiliated under University of Dhaka. Currently it is under the affiliation of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP), a university governed by the Armed Forces of Bangladesh. MIST and other 9 institutes are now under BUP. It is a government institution and there are almost 2500 students in this institution, where both military students and civil students study for taking Engineering degree.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Aim of MIST
- 4 Student's Dress
- 5 Affiliation
- 6 Procedure of admission
- 7 Academics
- 8 Post Graduate Acceptance
- 9 Teacher's Quarters
- 10 Facilities & Services
- 11 Halls of Residence
- 12 Students Organizations
- 13 Laboratory Facilities
- 14 Central Library
- 15 MIST journals and magazines
- 16 Recognition of performances
- 17 Achievements
- 18 References
- 19 External links
MIST came into existence on 19 April 1998 and academic programs were launched on 31 January 1999. Though the pioneer batches comprised only military students, civil students (both male and female) also started to admit in various disciplines from year 2002 through passing a rigorous 'Admission Test'. The maiden department of the institute is Civil Engineering department which started functioning from 1999. After that on 2000, Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) department established. Mechanical Engineering (ME) department and Electrical, Electronic & Communication Engineering (EECE) department was established on year 2003. MIST started its Masters studies in different discipline from 2012 and MPhil/PhD from year 2014.
MIST is located at Mirpur Cantonment, on the northwest edge of Dhaka City. Students' hall and teachers' quarters are at the last end of the campus. The academic buildings of MIST are on 50 acres (200,000 m2) of land. This area is confined with officers' mess, four tower building (one is completed, known as Tower Building-1 and a second one is in under construction), cafeteria, library,two vast fields for the civil students, medical center, physical center and administrative buildings. Halls for students and teachers are situated outside the campus. Recently more land was issued for the campus for residential accommodation.
Aim of MIST
The aim of MIST is to conduct undergraduate, post graduate/Masters (M.Sc. Engg./ M. Engg.) and Ph.D. program on various disciplines of engineering.
Civil students are to wear dress with displayed identity card as per 'Dress Code' prescribed by MIST authority. Military students put on uniform as per Dress Regulation of respective services.
All academic programs of MIST are affiliated with the Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP). BUP was established as the 30th public university of Bangladesh on 5 Jun 2008. Ten colleges/academies/institutions are affiliated to BUP including National Defence College (NDC), Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), etc. All examinations are conducted as per the schedule approved by the same university. BUP also approves the results and awards certificates to the qualified students.
Procedure of admission
The undergraduate admission process at MIST has several steps. First, students are screened based on their grade point average (GPA) in HSC or equivalent examinations. Every year, 2,000–2,500 candidates are short-listed from approximately 10,000 applicants to sit for the admission test. Besides the admission test, SSC and HSC results are taken into consideration while evaluating candidates. Students who have passed in minimum five subjects in GCE O-Level and three subjects (mathematics, physics and chemistry) in A-Level, obtaining minimum C-grades in all subjects are also eligible for the admission test. Foreign students may be admitted against a reserved quota of 3% of overall vacancies available (6% of civil seats). Vacancies will be offered to countries through Armed Forces Division (AFD), Prime Minister’s Office, of the Government of Bangladesh.
Admission to Ph.D. and M.Phil programs requires a master's degree from relevant branch from a recognized university. Admission to a Master's program requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from a recognized institution. Admission is based on Written admission test & Interview/Viva on the relevant departments. Admission is highly competitive in postgraduate programs as only few aspirants are selected every year from a pool of large applicants.
Faculties & Departments
Academic activities are undertaken by eleven departments under Four (04) faculties. Ten (10) departments offer undergraduate programs.
|Faculty of Civil Engineering||Faculty of Electrical & Computer Engineering||Faculty of Mechanical Engineering||Faculty of Nuclear & Biomedical Engineering|
Post Graduate Acceptance
Post graduate courses are M.Sc Engg. (Masters of Science in Engineering) & M. Engg (Masters of Engineering). Three of the departments are now offering Ph.D. and other three departments offering M.Phil degree. M.Sc Engg and M. Engg are offered for:
- Electrical, Electronics & Communication Engineering (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
- Civil Engineering [Structure/Transportation/Environment/Water Resource] (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
- Mechanical Engineering (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
- Computer Science & Engineering (M.Sc./M.Engg. Ph.D)
M.Phil degrees are now offered for:
- Certificate Course on GIS and Remote Sensing
- Diploma courses in surveying & mapping
- Diploma & Certificate courses in CSE.
- Professional advance courses.
MIST has two Teacher's Quarters for the permanent teachers with families. They are:
- Polash (পলাশ)
- Shapla (শাপলা)
Facilities & Services
Fitness Center provides ample opportunity for the students to keep their body and mind fit.
Cyber cafe provides internet browsing facilities to students and faculties.
To break the monotony of study different cultural programs are arranged at regular intervals.
Cafeteria provides competitive but healthy meal with different types of cuisine on offer. It also offers special meal on special occasions and with superior quality.
Halls of Residence
MIST has dorms for male and female students. Hostel administration is performed by the provost who is selected from one of the senior teachers of the 11 departments. The hall organizes many creative works and tournaments.
Osmany Hall is named after the Bangabir General M.A.G. Osmany, the Commander-in-chief of Bangladesh forces during Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971. Osmany Hall is an 8 stored building with female and male wings, having a capacity of 558 students (male 260 and female 298). There are 20 staff for each wing. Osmany Hall is known for the security of the students compared to the other hall in the country. Students get various modern facilities such as 24-hour electricity, internet service, gym, games and sports facilities.
- MIST Debating Society (MISTDS)
- MIST Photographic Society (MISTPS)
- MIST Film and Drama Society (MISTFDS)
- MIST Lunabotics Club
- MIST Robotics Club (MISTRC) (http://mistrc.com/)
- MIST Sports Club
- MIST Aero Thunder
- MIST Programming Club (http://mist-cc.com/)
Each department is equipped with modern lab facilities. The various laboratories available under each dept are given below:
Science & Humanities Dept
MIST library has resourceful collection of 50,000 books (as of 2016), 1,200 CD-ROMs, and a good number of magazines, periodicals, journals and articles from home and abroad. The library gives access to online journals through INASP-PERI. The central library uses KOHA, Dspace. VuFind and Drupal (open source software) as a part of Integrated Library Management System.It also subscribes a number of Bangla and English newspapers and periodicals. In addition to that each dept has its own library enriched with adequate text and reference books. There is also a cyber center for Internet browsing.
MIST journals and magazines
- MIST has an annual technical journal titled "Galaxy" (ISSN 2073-6444) whose concern is to provide a firm ground for students and faculty members to share their research outcome and knowledge.
- Osmany Hall Magazine "Prottasha(প্রত্যাশা)"
- "AEROMIST"-A departmental magazine of Aeronautical Engineering department.
Recognition of performances
Osmany Memorial Gold Medal
Awarded to the best student amongst all the MIST Medal holders.
Awarded to all students earning CGPA 4 at the end of the entire program and the first position holder in each dept earning a minimum CGPA of 3.80
- All students earning CGPA ≥ 3.8 at the end of each academic level for level 1, 2 and 3
- All graduating students earning CGPA ≥ 3.8 considering results of entire program (level 1 to 4)
- All students earning 3.7 ≤ CGPA < 3.8 at the end of each academic level for level 1, 2 and 3
- All graduating students earning 3.7 ≤ CGPA < 3.8 considering results of entire program (level 1 to 4)
Scholarships and Stipends
- Chancellor’s(BUP) Scholarship
- Vice Chancellors (BUP) Scholarship/ Stipend
- MIST Scholarship
- MIST Stipends
- Osmany Memorial Trust Scholarship
- Buro Bangladesh Stipend
- Chief of Army Staff Scholarship
- Chief of Army Staff Stipend
- Chief of Naval Staff Scholarship
- Chief of Air Staff Scholarship
- Brig Gen Kamal Scholarship
- Brig Gen Kamal Stipend
|This section does not cite any sources. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Md Mijanur Rahman (AE-1) Won Runner-Up Trophy in "International Public Speaking Competition-2010" held in England.
- MIST programming contest teams MIST_Kernel participated in the "4th IUT ICT Fest-2012", placed 8th( 5th in institution ranking).
- MIST programming contest teams MIST_Kernel participated in the "ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest Dhaka Regional 2012",achieved 17th position ( 9th in institution ranking).
- MIST Lunabotics Team participated in "3rd Annual Lunabotics Mining Competition 2012" held in Kennedy Space Center, Florida, USA.
- Mobile Apps "Save Life" developed by the Students (Ishtiak Ahmed & Kazi Munshimun Nabi) of CSE Dept of MIST secured 2nd runner-up position in the Mobile Apps Development Contest by EATL Apps among 188 projects.
- MIST Aero Thunder Team participated in "SAE Aero Design Competition(West)-2013" & placed 19th position in world ranking, held in California, USA from 12 to 14 April 2013.
- Two Teams from CE Dept.(Team VIVE & Team STORM) participated in "ACI Mortar Workability Competition 2013" held in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA in April 14 & Team VIVE placed 4th among all the universities & 1st contestant from Bangladesh & whole Asia.
- Team "MIST Dreamer's Fin" from Aeronautical Engineering Dept. participated in 2013 AIAA/Cessna Aircraft Company/Raytheon Missile Systems Design/Build/Fly Competition held in Tucson,Arizona,USA from 19 to 21 April 2013 & placed 40 out of 90 team from all over the world (placed 4th in whole ASIA region). "MIST Dreamer's Fin" is the 1st team from Bangladesh participate this competition.
- MIST Team "BIJOY" became Runners up of the Inter University Design Contest-UAPT jointly organized by Engineering Students Association of Bangladesh(ESAB) & Bangladeshi Systems Change Advocacy Network (B-SCAN) among 82 teams from all over the country on 10 May 2013.
- MIST Lunabotics Team "EKUSH" participated in the "4th Annual Lunabotics Mining Competition 2013" held in Kennedy Space Center, Florida, USA & placed 11th in mining Category all over world. And won 1st position in 'Outreach Project',1st in 'Luna World Wide Award' 2nd in 'System Engineering Paper' & 3rd in 'Team Spirit Award'.
- "MIST Aero Thunder Team GREEN" participated in "SAE Aero Design Competition (WEST)-2014" & placed 17th position among 33 universities all over the world. And also placed 5th position in payload section & 10th in flight score
- "MIST Aero Thunder Team RED" participated in "SAE Aero Design Competition(East)-2014" & placed 10th position in world ranking, held in USA from 11 to 13 April 2014.They also placed 5th position in System Engineering Paper & 5th position in Presentation.
- Bangladesh University of Professionals
- "Masters Syllabus".
- "Eligibility to Admission test" (PDF).
- "Circular 2013" (PDF).
- "Circular 2013" (PDF).
- "Prospectus 2013" (PDF).
- "M.Sc. Admission Result 2013" (PDF).
- "M.Sc. Circular 2015".
- "List of Departments".
- "M.Sc. Admission 2014".
- "M.Phil. Admission 2014".
- "MIST Library".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Military Institute of Science and Technology.|