Military Ordinariate of Belgium
|Military Ordinariate of Belgium
Dutch: Bisdom bij de Krijgsmacht
French: Diocèse aux Forces armées belges
|Established||7 September 1957 (59 years ago)|
The Military Ordinariate of Belgium (Dutch: Bisdom bij de Krijgsmacht; French: Diocèse aux Forces armées belges) is a military ordinariate of the Roman Catholic Church. Immediately subject to the Holy See, it provides pastoral care to Roman Catholics serving in the Belgian Armed Forces and their families.
It was established as a military vicariate on 7 September 1957, and elevated to a military ordinariate on 21 July 1986. The Military Ordinary's seat is located at the Co-cathedral of Saint Jacques-sur-Coudenberg (Sint-Jacob op de Koudenbergkerk) in Brussels, Belgium. The post of Military Ordinary is vested in the Archbishop of Mechelen and Primate of Belgium.
- Jozef-Ernest van Roey (appointed 1957 – died 6 August 1961)
- Leo Jozef Suenens (appointed 24 November 1961 – retired 1979)
- Godfried Danneels (appointed 15 September 1980 – became military ordinary 21 July 1986)
- Godfried Danneels (appointed 21 July 1986 – retired 27 February 2010)
- André-Joseph Léonard (incumbent, appointed 27 February 2010)
- Army Chaplaincy
- Military Ordinariate of Belgium (Catholic-Hierarchy)
- Bisdom bij de Krijgsmacht / Diocèse aux Forces armées belges (Belgium) (GCatholic.org)