Military history of Russia
Part of a series on the
|History of Russia|
Feudal Rus' (1097–1547)
Russian Revolution (1917–1923)
Timeline860–1721 • 1721–1796 • 1796–1855
1855–1892 • 1892–1917 • 1917–1927
1927–1953 • 1953–1964 • 1964–1982
1982–1991 • 1991–present
The military history of the modern-day Russian Federation has antecedents involving the Rus' (who built Kyiv), the Mongol invasion of the early 13th century, Russia's numerous wars against Turkey, against Poland, Lithuania and Sweden, the Seven Years' War, France (especially the Napoleonic Wars), and the Crimean War of 1853–1856. The 20th century saw two World Wars and the Cold War. The military history of the Russian Federation itself began in 1991.
Period surveys include:
- the military history of Kievan Rus' and other states leading up to Muscovy (the Grand Duchy of Moscow)
- the Tsardom of Russia
- Military history of the Russian Empire
- Military history of the Soviet Union
- Military history of the Russian Federation
- History of Russia
- Foreign policy of the Russian Empire
- Russo-Turkish wars
- Timeline of Russian history
- Timeline of Russian inventions and technology records
- Davies, Brian L. "The Development of Russian Military Power 1453–1815." in Jeremy Black, ed., European Warfare 1453–1815 (Macmillan Education UK, 1999) pp. 145–179.
- De Madariaga, Isabel. Russia in the Age of Catherine the Great (2002).r, William C. Strategy and Power in Russia 1600-1914 (1998) excerpts
- Hartley, Janet M. Russia, 1762-1825: military power, the state, and the people (ABC-CLIO, 2008).
- Hughes, Lindsey (2000). Russia in the Age of Peter the Great. Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-08266-1. pp 63–91.
- Kagan, Frederick, and Robin Higham, eds. The Military History of Tsarist Russia (2008) excerpts
- Keep, John. Soldiers of the Tsar: Army and Society in Russia, 1462–1874 (Oxford UP, 1985).
- Menning, Bruce W. "Russian military innovation in the second half of the eighteenth Century." War & Society (1984) 2#1 pp. 23–41. online
- Riasanovsky, Nicholas V. and Mark D. Steinberg. A History of Russia (7th ed. 2004) 800 pages.
- Roberts, Geoffrey. Stalin's Wars: From World War to Cold War, 1939-1953 (2008) excerpt and text search
- Schimmelpenninck van der Oye, David, and Bruce Menning, eds. Reforming the Tsar’s Army: Military Innovation in Imperial Russia from Peter the Great to the Revolution (Cambridge UP, 2004). scholarly essays
- Stone, David. A Military History of Russia: From Ivan the Terrible to the War in Chechnya (2006) excerpts