Benin Armed Forces
|Benin Armed Forces|
|Forces armées béninoises|
Coat of arms of Benin
|Service branches||Army (l'Armée de Terre)|
Benin Navy (Forces Navales Beninois, FNB)
Benin Air Force (Force Aerienne du Bénin, FAB)
|Commander-in-Chief||President Patrice Talon|
|Minister of Defence||Yarou Robert Theophile|
|Chief of the Defence Staff||Laurent Amoussou|
|Budget||$US73 million (2011)|
|Percent of GDP||1% (2011)|
|Foreign suppliers|| France|
|Ranks||Military ranks of Benin|
The Benin Armed Forces (FAB - Forces armées béninoises) constitutes the army, navy, air force, and national gendarmerie of Benin. For a number of years, the Belgian Armed Forces have had an active programme of co-operation with Benin, offering training and coaching, donating redundant military equipment and using the country for limited military exercises.
|Armored fighting vehicle|
|PT-76||Soviet Union||Light tank||18|
|M8 Greyhound||United States||Anti-armor vehicle||7|
|Eland-90||South Africa||Armored car||3||provided with French training|
|Panhard VBL||France||Armored car||10|
|BRDM-2||Soviet Union||Armored car||14|
|Casspir 2000||South Africa||APC||10 on order|
|L118 Light Gun||United Kingdom||Howitzer||12|
|M101 howitzer||United States||Howitzer||4|
After achieving independence from France in 1960 the Benin Air Force was transport equipped with seven French-supplied Douglas C-47s, four MH.1521 Broussards and two Agusta-Bell 47Gs. Two F-27s entered service in 1978 for transport duties before being transferred to Air Benin. Also during the same era two AN-26s were acquired. In late 1985 two Dornier Do-28s entered service to replace the C-47s. A single DHC-6 Twin Otter was acquired in 1989.
|Boeing 727||United States||VIP||1|
|Hawker Siddeley HS 748||United Kingdom||Transport||1|
|DHC-6 Twin Otter||Canada||Utility transport||1|
As at 2012 the navy has a strength of approximately 200 personnel. It operates two ex-Chinese patrol boats, which are designated the Matelot Brice Kpomasse class.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Military of Benin.|
- IISS (2012), p. 422
- Mathurin C. Houngnikpo, Samuel Decalo, Historical Dictionary of Benin, 78.
- Jane's Infantry Weapons 2007
- Photo Details. Marines.mil (16 June 2009). Retrieved on 2012-05-20.
- DIO blindé au Bénin
- "Senegal Instruction Operationelle Au Profit Des Forces Armees Beninoises".
- Republique du Benin Archived 3 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Benin purchases ten Casspir 2000 mine protected vehicles Archived 13 February 2013 at the Wayback Machine. - Armyrecognition.com, 10 February 2013
- "Trade Registers". Armstrade.sipri.org. Retrieved 2013-12-30.
- "Benin Government B-727". xairforces.net. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "World Air Forces 2018". Flightglobal Insight. 2018. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- Works consulted
- International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) (2012). The Military Balance 2012. London: IISS. ISSN 0459-7222.
This article incorporates public domain material from the CIA World Factbook website https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html.