Military of Mauritius
|Military of Mauritius|
Coat of arms of Mauritius
|Service branches||National Police Force|
Paramilitary Special Force
National Coast Guard
|Budget||$9.1 million (FY01)|
|Percent of GDP||0.19% (2012 est.)|
Mauritius does not have a standing army. All military, police, and security functions are carried out by 10,000 active-duty personnel under the command of the Commissioner of Police. The 8,000-member National Police Force is responsible for domestic law enforcement. The 1,500-member Special Mobile Force (SMF) and the 500-member National Coast Guard are the only two paramilitary units in Mauritius. Both units are composed of police officers on lengthy rotations to those services.
Organisation and training
The SMF is organized as a ground infantry unit, with six rifle companies, two mobilisable paramilitary companies, and one engineer company, according to the IISS Military Balance 2007. It engages extensively in civic works projects. The Coast Guard has four patrol craft for search-and-rescue missions and surveillance of territorial waters. A 100-member police helicopter squadron assists in search-and-rescue operations. There also is a special supporting unit of 270 members trained in riot control.
Military advisers from India and United Kingdom work with the SMF, the Coast Guard, and the Police Helicopter Unit, and Mauritian police officers are trained in India, United Kingdom and France. India and the United States provide training to Mauritian Coast Guard officers in such fields as seamanship and maritime law enforcement.
In March 1990 one radar equipped HAL Do 228-101 was ordered from India to form a maritime surveillance element by July 1991. This aircraft
was reinforced in 1992 by a single twin turbo prop BN-2T Maritime Defender for coastal patrol work. A HAL Do 228 -202 was added to the fleet in 2004
|Dornier Do 228||Germany||maritime patrol||1|
|BN-2T Defender||United Kingdom||maritime patrol||1|
|Alouette III||France||SAR / utility||SA316B||2|
|HAL Dhruv||India||utility||1||operates under the National Police force|
|CGS Barracuda||India||Patrol boat||1||Kora-class corvette|
|CGS Valiant||India||Patrol boat||1||Sarojini Naidu-class patrol vessel|
|CGS Victory||India||Patrol boat||1||Sarojini Naidu-class patrol vessel|
|CGS Guardian||Chile||Patrol boat||1|
|CGS Vigilant||Chile||Patrol boat||1|
|CGS Amar||India||1||Abhay-class corvette|
|CGS Rescuer||USSR||1||Zhuk-class patrol boat|
|CGS Retriever||USSR||1||Zhuk-class patrol boat|
|CGS Observer||United Kingdom||1||Archer-class patrol vessel|
- "The World Factbook". Cia.gov. Archived from the original on 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2014-11-14.
- IISS Military Balance 2007
- IISS Military Balance 2010
- World Aircraft Information Files; Brightstar Publishing; File 331, Sheet 4
- Jones, Richard D. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 35 edition (January 27, 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-2869-5.
- Soobye, Ali (March 12, 2006). "Mauritius police forces parade". AFP / Getty Images. Archived from the original on August 7, 2011. Retrieved September 9, 2010.
- "Sauvetage au combat de niveau 1 [SC1] à l'île Maurice" (in French). Forces Armées de la Zone Sud de l'Océan Indien. 12 December 2012. Archived from the original on 22 September 2013. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- Gander, Terry J.; Hogg, Ian V. Jane's Infantry Weapons 2009/2010. Jane's Information Group; 21 edition (May 2009). ISBN 978-0-7106-1241-0.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-10-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Patrick Laverdant. "mauritian_bw198.jpg - Patrick Laverdant". Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Sainte-Croix : un membre des forces spéciales présent pour assurer la sécurité du pape François | Defimedia". Defimedia.info. 2019-09-13. Archived from the original on 2019-09-13. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "World Air Forces 2004" pg. 74" (PDF). Flightglobal Insight. 2015. Archived (PDF) from the original on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Supply of 'DHRUV' Advanced Light Helicopter". indiahighcom. Archived from the original on 11 May 2015. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- GRSE Mauritius offshore patrol vessel
- Mandovi Marine (15 Meter) Class Patrol Craft
- Praga Class Patrol Boat
|This Mauritius-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|