Milken Institute School of Public Health
|George Washington University|
|Dean||Lynn R. Goldman|
|Campus||Urban — Foggy Bottom|
The Milken Institute School of Public Health (known as School of Public Health, Milken School, or SPH) is the school of public health of the George Washington University, in Washington, DC. U.S. News & World Report University Rankings ranks the SPH as the 12th best public health graduate program in the United States.
With 1,000 graduate students and 180 undergraduate students from nearly every U.S. state and more than 35 nations pursue undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral-level degrees in public health, its student body is one of the most ethnically diverse among the nation's private schools of public health.
The GW School of Public Health and Health Services was established in July 1997, with Dr. Richard K. Riegelman as the Founding Dean, bringing together three longstanding university programs in the schools of medicine, business, and education that have since expanded substantially.
On March 11, 2014, the Milken Institute, Sumner Redstone Charitable Foundation and the Milken Family Foundation donated a combined total of $80 million in three gifts to the renamed Milken Institute School of Public Health (Milken Institute SPH). The gifts also established the Sumner M. Redstone Global Center for Prevention and Wellness.
Milken's facilities are located in the George Washington University campus area in Foggy Bottom. The main building is located at 950 New Hampshire Ave. NW, with administrative and research offices , the Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library and other laboratories also located within the area.
SPH's current facilities are:
- Main building (950 New Hampshire Ave.)
- Science and Engineering Hall
- Additional research offices and administrative staff (2175 K Street)
- Library and Medical School Classrooms / Labs at Ross Hall (2300 I Street)
- Public Health Research Clinic (2013 H Street)
- VTSC Exercise Science Lab
Organization and administration
The public health programs of the Milken Institute SPH have full accreditation from the Council on Education for Public Health. The program in health services administration is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education. The Athletic Training Education Program is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. The Milken Institute SPH is a member of the Association of Schools of Public Health.
The School offers six different Bachelor degrees, with three minors, 23 Master's degrees and also offers an array of joint degree programs, allowing students to couple a law degree with the Master of Public Health (MPH), or to combine an MPH with a medical degree or an MA in International Affairs. An MPH/Physician Assistant program, the first in the world, is available at the Milken Institute SPH, as is the opportunity to serve as a Peace Corps volunteer while pursuing an MPH. Milken also offers 8 doctoral degrees and different additional certificates. Milken also offers different online master's degrees and certificates.
The School has six academic departments:
- Environmental and Occupational Health
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics]
- Exercise and Nutrition Sciences
- Global Health
- Health Policy and Management
- Prevention and Community Health
Within the departments, sixteen specialist centers, institutes and special programs are sites for state-of-the-art research and training across the many disciplines of public health.
GW Public Health Online programs combine coursework and virtual classes. Coursework in Milken’s online graduate programs covers areas such as bio-statistics, epidemiology, cultural competency, and more.
Online Master of Public Health Program
The Milken Institute School of Public Health and the MPH@GW program are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). The online MPH degree program prepares public health professionals to make a difference in local, national and global communities. Students can concentrate their electives in the following areas: Epidemiology and Public Health Research Methods, Environmental and Occupational Health, Health Communication, Health Policy, Program Planning and Evaluation, and Global Health. Students can complete the program on a part-time or full-time schedule.
One-Year Master of Public Health Program
Milken’s one-year MPH program requires students to complete 11.5 credits each quarter. The curriculum is the same as the standard MPH program. Students accepted to this track must be approved by the Program Director and are not permitted to work while enrolled.
The school's current research portfolio is approximately $18 million.
Milken is home to more than 20 Organized Research Units (ORUs), that are established by the GW Office of Vice President for Research and the Milken Institute SPH Policy for Establishing Organized Research Units.
- "Institutional Research - The George Washington University". www.gwu.edu.
- Anderson, Nick (10 March 2014). "GWU to receive $80 million for public health; donors are Milken and Redstone" – via www.washingtonpost.com.
- "Overview of facilities at Milken".
- "Message from the Dean".
- "Accredited Schools & Programs - Council on Education for Public Health". ceph.org.
- "Undergraduate Minors at Milken".
- "Academic Programs | Milken Institute School of Public Health | GW". Publichealth.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "Master's degrees and joint degrees at Milken".
- "Phd programs at Milken".
- "Milken Institute School of Public Health | University Bulletin | The George Washington University". www.bulletin.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Online programs at Milken".
- "Undergraduate academic advising at Milken".
- "Academic advising at Milken".
- "Practicum projects at Milken".
- "Departments | Milken Institute School of Public Health | GW". Publichealth.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "Online Master of Public Health Programs | MPH@GW". publichealthonline.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "Top 5 Online MPH Colleges | Careers In Public Health". Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- "Online Master of Public Health Programs | MPH@GW". publichealthonline.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "Top 5 Online MPH Colleges | Careers In Public Health". Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "George Washington University Online MPH". MPH. Retrieved 2019-01-02.
- "One Year MPH Program Online | Careers In Public Health". Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "One-Year MPH Program | MPH@GW". publichealthonline.gwu.edu. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "20 Best Accelerated MPH Programs 2018". MPH Online. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "Rankings". www.usnews.com. Retrieved 2019-06-08.
- "ORUs at Milken".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Milken Institute School of Public Health.|