Milkybar is a white chocolate confection produced by Nestlé and sold in the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, Ireland, Kuwait, South Africa, and Spain. It is sold under the name Galak in Ecuador, Brazil and Continental Europe. Nestlé have produced white chocolate since the 1930s, and started using the brand Galak in 1967. In some markets, notably Australia and New Zealand, Milkybar does not contain cocoa butter, and is not labelled as chocolate.
Since 1961, the Milkybar Kid has been used in television advertising promoting Nestlé Milkybar. The Milkybar Kid is a blond, spectacle-wearing young child, usually dressed as a cowboy, whose catchphrase is "The Milkybars are on me!". The advertisements usually take place in a Wild West setting, and both live-action and animated ads have been produced. Until 8-year-old Hinetaapora Short of New Zealand was selected in 2010, the character had always been male.
In the UK, Australia and New Zealand the advertisements were originally accompanied by a jingle extolling "the goodness that's in Milky Bar". In more recent revivals of the campaign, the jingle has been revised to refer to "the good taste that's in Milkybar".
Galak was promoted using the 1971 French animated series Oum le Dauphin Blanc ("Zoom the White Dolphin"), with its characters appearing on packaging and in commercials. In commercials, two children, Yann and Marina, and the white dolphin Oum typically overcome villains such as pirates or sharks. Nestlé terminated their use of this licence in 2003, though the likeness of Oum remained on some stocks sold in 2004, which led the series' owners to sue for royalties.
- Sue Dengate. "Food Intolerance Network".
- "Other Chocolate Bars". About Our Brands. Nestlé UK. Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- "Rotorua girl named Milkybar kid". The Daily Post. 19 November 2010. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Australian Nestle's Milky Bar commercial, early 1960s
- Glaize, Frédéric (2006-01-10). "Galak : reliquat de royalties pour Oum". Vox PI (in French). MEYER & Partenaires. Retrieved 2008-01-07.
- Nestlé Milkybar (United Kingdom)