||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
Millard "Mickey" S. Drexler (born August 17, 1944) is the current chairman and CEO of J.Crew Group and formerly the CEO of Gap Inc. He has been a director at Apple Inc. since 1999, and stepped down on March 10, 2015.
Education and early career
Drexler is often credited with Gap's meteoric rise during the 1990s. Until then Gap had been a relatively small chain selling private and public brands. Under Drexler the company made a dramatic shift to private brand merchandise and expanded rapidly to become an iconic part of 90s pop culture. Television advertisements featuring young models and catchy music such as "Mellow Yellow" and "Dress You Up in My Love" came to epitomize the relaxed American casual look that defined the Gap brand. On May 22, 2002, however, Drexler was abruptly fired by Gap founder Donald Fisher.
The J.Crew Group, an American clothing and accessories retailer based in New York City, founded in 1983 with the launch of its catalog and expanded into brick-and-mortar retailing in 1989 with its first store at the South Street Seaport in New York City. J. Crew quickly hired Drexler after his abrupt departure from Gap. Drexler has sought in his role of CEO to reposition the J. Crew brand as a truly upscale boutique. What was once a moderately priced, American, dressy-casual brand is quickly becoming an upscale, dressy-vintage American brand with "frills included".
He announced plans to step down from Apple's board in March 2015.
- Edelson, Sharon (29 January 2014). "Millard 'Mickey' Drexler Talks Price, Creativity, Career". WWD. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Wakabayashi Daisuke (22 January 2015). "Jobs Confidant Drexler to Leave Apple’s Board". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Nick Paumgarten (September 20, 2010). "The Merchant". The New Yorker.
- "Mickey Drexler's Redemption". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2002-11-22.
- "The Apple board member who helped design its retail stores is retiring". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Moin, David (August 28, 2013). "Mickey Drexler Makes Cameo on 'Breaking Bad'". wwd.com. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Official J.Crew Website
- J.Crew Push Back IPO
- The Motley Fool: A J.Crew Review
- Official Madewell website
- J.Crew's Mickey Drexler Responds to the J.Crew Aficionada Blog
- An Email to Mickey Drexler from JCrewAholics