||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Education and early career
Drexler is often credited with Gap's meteoric rise during the 1990s. Until then Gap had been a relatively small chain selling private and public brands. Under Drexler the company made a dramatic shift to private label brand merchandise and expanded rapidly to become an iconic part of 1990s pop culture. Television advertisements featuring young models and catchy music such as "Mellow Yellow" and "Dress You Up in My Love" came to epitomize the relaxed American casual look that defined the Gap brand. On May 22, 2002, however, Drexler was abruptly fired by Gap founder Donald Fisher.
The J.Crew Group, an American clothing and accessories retailer based in New York City, was founded in 1983 with the launch of its catalog and expanded into brick-and-mortar retailing in 1989 with its first store at the South Street Seaport in New York City. J. Crew hired Drexler in 2003 after his abrupt departure from Gap. Drexler has sought in his role of CEO to reposition the J. Crew brand as a truly upscale boutique. What was once a low-priced, American, dressy-casual brand became more an upscale, dressy-vintage American brand with "frills included".
In popular culture
- Edelson, Sharon (29 January 2014). "Millard 'Mickey' Drexler Talks Price, Creativity, Career". WWD. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- Wakabayashi Daisuke (22 January 2015). "Jobs Confidant Drexler to Leave Apple's Board". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Mickey Drexler". businessoffashion.com. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- Nick Paumgarten (September 20, 2010). "The Merchant". The New Yorker.
- "Gap, Inc. - Falling into the Gap, New Stores, New Leader". www.referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 2016-07-17.
- "Mickey Drexler's Redemption". New York Magazine. Retrieved 2002-11-22.
- "The Apple board member who helped design its retail stores is retiring". The Verge. Vox Media. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Moin, David (August 28, 2013). "Mickey Drexler Makes Cameo on 'Breaking Bad'". wwd.com. Retrieved August 28, 2013.
- Official J.Crew Website
- J.Crew Push Back IPO
- The Motley Fool: A J.Crew Review
- Official Madewell website
- J.Crew's Mickey Drexler Responds to the J.Crew Aficionada Blog
- An Email to Mickey Drexler from JCrewAholics