Millard North High School
|Millard North High|
|1010 S 144th St
Omaha, Nebraska 68154-2899
|School board||Millard Public Schools|
|Number of students||2,534|
|Color(s)||Blue and Silver with Green Accent|
Millard North High School is a high school in the Millard Public Schools district. Millard North partially opened in 1978 for 9th and 10th grade students. In 1981, the second phase of the project was completed and the school began to serve students in grades 9-12; at that time, the school's name was changed to Millard North High School. The school completed an expansion in 2007. Millard North will also be undergoing a comprehensive renovation to be finished sometime in 2016.
Millard North is one of three high schools in Omaha to carry the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, and was the first in the state to offer it. Along with Millard North Middle School, Millard North High School offers the IB Middle Years Programme. The only other schools in Nebraska that offer the Diploma Programme are Lincoln High School in Lincoln and Omaha Central in Omaha.
Millard North is part of the Millard Public Schools Systems which offer the Academy program for those students aspiring to a particular career after graduation. Millard North was home to the Finance Academy which started in 2009, but was ended after the 2012-13 school year. Millard North sends students to the other three Millard high schools to participate in the other academies. Currently in the Millard district there are five academies offered: Education at West, Entrepreneurship at South and Culinary Skills, Health Sciences, and Distribution and Logistics Management at Horizon. Academy students graduate with almost a full year of college credit (though it varies by academy) and partake in the program during junior and senior years of high school.
The Millard North Mustangs football team won state championships in 2003, 2005, 2010, 2012, and 2016.
The Mustangs baseball team played in four out of five Nebraska high school state championship games between 2002 and 2006. The 2005 team posted the best record in Nebraska high school baseball history with 35 wins and no losses on their way to the school's first state baseball championship in 15 years (the 1990 baseball team won the high school's first ever boys state championship) and the first baseball team to go undefeated in Nebraska in 21 years. The leading hitter, and one of six 1st-Team All-State Team members, on that undefeated team was Conor Gillaspie, a third baseman drafted early in the second round of the 2008 MLB Draft by the San Francisco Giants.
In 2007, the boys soccer team went undefeated to win the state championship against Lincoln East High School, 4-2, with a record of 22-0, and posting a state record of 17 shutouts. In 2008, the girls soccer team went 18-1 to win the state title against Westside High School.
|Season||Sport||Number of Championships||Year|
|Fall||Football||5||2003, 2005, 2010, 2012, 2015|
|Soccer, Boys||2||1995, 2007|
|Soccer, Girls||6||1988, 1994, 1997, 2006, 2008, 2011|
|Tennis, Girls||3||1989, 2001, 2002|
|Track and Field, Girls||3||2005, 2006, 2008|
Millard North has two official student publications. The Hoofbeat, the newspaper, is published every three weeks and maintains an online website. The publication received the Cornhusker Award in 2010. The Stampede, the school yearbook, is published once a year in May with a supplement published in August. The Millard North journalism program won first place overall in the 2011 Nebraska state competition and were co-State Champions in 2012.
Nebraska Economics Challenge
Millard North operates an economics program, associated with the Advanced Placement Program, to compete in the Nebraska Economics Challenge. Millard North won four straight championships from the years 2011-2012 to 2014-2015.
- Lance Cade, professional wrestler
- Eric Crouch, American football player, 2001 Heisman Trophy winner
- Todd Doxzon, football player
- Conor Gillaspie, baseball player, third baseman for the San Francisco Giants
- Ryan Malone, National Hockey League forward
- Seth Olsen, football player, offensive lineman who has played for the Denver Broncos and Minnesota Vikings
- Paul Stastny, hockey player, center for the St. Louis Blues
- Jeff Tarpinian, football player, linebacker for the Houston Texans
- Michael Zagurski, Major League Baseball pitcher
- "Millard North High School in OMAHA, NE - Best High Schools - US News". usnews.com. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "School board OKs $9.75M contract for Millard North renovations — about $1M over estimated price tag". Omaha.com. Retrieved 25 November 2015.
- "Find an IB World School". International Baccalaureate Organization. Retrieved 2007-12-02.
- "MPS Academies". Millard Public School District. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Nebraska School Activities Association" (English). Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- "2011 Cornhusker Awards". Nebraska High School Press Association. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "2011 State Journalism Results". Nebraska High School Press Association. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- "Millard North High School". Millard Public Schools. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- "Bellevue East teams sweep Nebraska Economic Challenge titles". Nebraska Economics Challenge. Retrieved 2011-04-13.
- FuneralNet. "FuneralNet: Custom Funeral Home Website Design - Obituaries". porterloring.com. Retrieved 25 November 2015.