Millcreek Township, Union County, Ohio
|Millcreek Township, Union County, Ohio|
Farmland along U.S. Route 33
Location of Millcreek Township in Union County
|• Total||21.6 sq mi (55.9 km2)|
|• Land||21.5 sq mi (55.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||974 ft (297 m)|
|• Density||58.5/sq mi (22.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087081|
Millcreek Township is one of the fourteen townships of Union County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,261 people in the township, 1,252 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Dover Township - north
- Scioto Township, Delaware County - northeast
- Concord Township, Delaware County - east
- Jerome Township - south
- Darby Township - southwest
- Paris Township - northwest
Name and history
Millcreek Township was organized in the early 1820s, and named after Mill Creek. It is the only Millcreek Township statewide, although there are Mill Creek Townships in Coshocton and Williams counties.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Union County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Durant, Pliny A. (1883). The History of Union County, Ohio, containing a history of the county; its townships, towns ... Chicago: Beers, W. H., & co. p. 328.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.