Millennium & Copthorne Hotels
|Traded as||LSE: MLC|
|Kwek Leng Beng, Chairman|
Tan Kian Seng, Interim CEO
|Revenue||£1,008 million (2017)|
|£145 million (2017)|
|£159 million (2017)|
Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc is a global hospitality management and real estate group, with 120 hotels in 79 locations in Asia, Australasia, Europe, the Middle East and North America. The company is headquartered in London. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. Millennium & Copthorne Hotels operates the Millennium, Copthorne and Kingsgate hotel chains.
In 1989, Singapore-based CDL Hotels International acquired 6 hotels in Asia. In 1993, CDL made its first move outside Asia – purchasing the 548-room Gloucester Hotel and The Bailey's Hotel in London. In the same year CDL took control of a 13-hotel chain in New Zealand. In 1994, CDL made its entry into the US with the purchase of the Millenium Hilton in New York and acquired the Millennium Broadway in New York’s Times Square district in December.
In 1999, the company acquired Regal Hotels in the United States and in 2001 it expanded into the Middle East with several management contracts secured in the United Arab Emirates. The first of six new hotels in China opened in 2008.
In 2015, the group announced 4 new hotels to open in Dubai. Still in 2015, the group's financial results slightly declined due to troubled events affecting tourism worldwide which led to the resignation of its CEO Aloysius Lee. Tan Kian Seng is currently serving as the interim CEO after Jennifer Fox has stepped down as the group's CEO in September 2018, just three months after her appointment.
The Group is structured as follows:
- Millennium Hotels – Worldwide
- Copthorne Hotels – China, Malaysia, Singapore, UK, New Zealand, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar and UAE
- Kingsgate Hotels – New Zealand, United Arab Emirates
- "Preliminary Results 2017" (PDF). Millennium & Copthorne Hotels. Retrieved 27 March 2018.
- "World Airline Directory". Flight International. 29 March 1986. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Stevenson, Tom (14 July 1994). "Singapore investor buys hotel in London". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc History". Funding Universe. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Millenium sold to CDL Hotels International". The New York Times. 16 February 1994. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Wilson, Iain (7 October 1995). "Singapore group buys Glasgow's Copthorne Aer Lingus sells hotel for £224m". The Glasgow Herald. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Millennium and Copthorne Hotels plc". London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Regal Riverfront becomes Millennium Hotel-St. Louis". St. Louis Business Journal. 9 April 2001. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "The five-star Millennium Chengdu Hotel China to open in 2008". Easier Travel. 2 August 2007. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Crystal Chesters (10 May 2015). "Millennium & Copthorne signs deal for 4 Dubai hotels". Arabianbusiness.com. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- Nathalie Thomas (19 February 2016). "Hotels facing 'uncertain climate' – Millennium & Copthorne". Ft.com. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Millennium & Copthorne Hotels CEO Lee to resign". Reuters.com. 24 August 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Three months in, CEO Jennifer Fox leaves Millennium & Copthorne Hotels | Hotel Management". www.hotelmanagement.net. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- "Millennium, Copthorne and Kingsgate Hotels & Resorts". Air New Zealand. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "Millennium expands through acquisition". Hotel News Now. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- Official site – www.millenniumhotels.com