Millfield Preparatory School
|Type||Preparatory day and boarding|
|Founder||Jack “Boss” Meyer|
|DfE URN||123921 Tables|
Currently there are 442 pupils attending the school, 231 boys, 211 girls. 146 of the pupils are boarders and 296 day pupils.
The school was founded in 1946, by Jack 'Boss' Meyer who also founded and ran Millfield and later became the headteacher. He bought Edgarley Hall and its grounds from the Thomas-Ferrands, following use by the army in World War II.
Meyer's philosophy was, "...to nurture talent by providing the very best facilities, teaching, coaching and opportunities in which young people can exercise and explore their abilities; and to give awards to those in financial need."
A pre-preparatory department was initially started at the 19th century house, The Hollies, in the centre of Glastonbury in the mid-1980s, later moving to the main preparatory school site.
The curriculum includes; English, mathematics, science, design and technology, information and communications technology, history, geography, religious studies, modern languages, art, music, drama and physical education. Extracurricular activities include sport and music.
The Language Development Centre (LDC) is staffed by five full-time and five part-time members of staff to support pupils who have identified learning difficulties, including dyslexia.
Around 45% of pupils are boarders. Boarding has been an integral part of the school for most of its history. There are three boys' boarding houses and two girls' houses, each housing between 30 and 40 pupils.
Sports facilities include: a 25-metre indoor swimming pool, an equestrian centre, sports halls, squash courts, and Astro-turf hockey pitch, outdoor tennis courts, netball courts and a 9-hole golf course. The school also has use of sports facilities at nearby Millfield.
The school teaches art, drama and music.
Notable former pupils
- Aftab Habib, England international cricketer
- Ben Hollioake, England cricket international
- David Graveney, Chairman of England cricket selectors
- David Luckes, hockey international and member of British Olympic Committee
- James Hildreth, county cricketer
- Jason Connery, actor
- Lily Allen, singer
- Matthew Perry, England rugby international
- Ruth Kelly, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government and Minister for Women. MP for Bolton
- Sophie Dahl, international fashion model
- Wesley Durston, county cricketer
- "Millfield Preparatory School, Somerset". isbi schools. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- "History". Millfield Preparatory School. Retrieved 2010-11-21.
- "Boss Meyer". Millfield School. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "The Hollies". Images of England. English Heritage. Retrieved 2009-09-06.
- Player profile
- Cricinfo profile
- http://content.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/13432.html Cricinfo page on David Graveney
- Sports reference
- Engel, Matthew, ed. (2004). "Schools Cricket, 2003". Wisden Cricketer's Almanack 2004 (141 ed.). Alton, Hampshire: John Wisden & Co. Ltd. p. 924. ISBN 0-947766-83-9.
- "Jason Connery". Superior Pics.com. Retrieved 6 September 2009.
- Raymond Ronamai (2011-06-03). "Lily Allen will change her name to Lily Cooper". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- BBC Profile
- O'Neill, Sean; Peek, Laura; Halpin, Tony (2004-12-17). "Ruth Kelly - a private woman who puts faith into her work". London: The Times. Retrieved 2006-06-03.
- "Wes Durston". Crickinfo. Retrieved 6 September 2009.