Milliken Mills High School
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Milliken Mills High School|
|7522 Kennedy Road
Markham, Ontario, L3R 9S5
|School type||High school|
|School board||York Region District School Board|
|Area trustee||Juanita Nathan|
|Enrollment||995 (October 2015)|
|Last updated: February 2016|
The high school's construction was not scheduled to finish until January 1989 because of a construction worker strike. The students were sent to Unionville High School on September 1988 for the first semester of the school year. Unionville High students went to school from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm and the Milliken Mills students went to school from 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm. Milliken Mills was fully operational in Spring, 1989.
Since its founding in 1988, the enrollment has remained around 1,600 students. Its service boundary area stretches north from Steeles Avenue, west to Warden Avenue, south from the 14th Avenue, and east to McCowan Road. Milliken Mills High School is a multicultural school at the level of both students and staff, a microcosm of the surrounding community of Markham.
The school is equipped with over 420 workstations.
- Aldergrove Public School
- Highgate Public School
- Milliken Mills Public School
- Randall Public School
- Wilclay Public School
- Andre De Grasse, Sprinter and gold medalist in the 100m and 200m dash at the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto. Bronze medalist in the 100m dash, and 4 × 100 m relay at the 2015 World Track and Field Championships in Beijing, China. He also won bronze for 100m in Rio Olympics 2016 with a personal best of 9.91s.
- George Kottaras, Major League Baseball player
- Corey Muirhead, professional basketball player with the BK Pardubice of the Czech National Basketball League
- "York Region District School Board - Monthly Enrollment Report" (PDF). York Region District School Board. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2016.
- School named after loyalist settler Norman Milliken, Principal's Message from Principal of Milliken Mills High School http://www.yrdsb.ca/schools/millikenmills.hs/info/Pages/Principals-Message.aspx
- Hayakawa, Michael (October 14, 2011). "Kottaras digs deep for Brewers". Newmarket Era. yorkregion.com. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- "Steve Shurina Announces David Berghoefer Has Signed a National Letter of Intent". Western Carolina University. April 15, 2002. Retrieved July 8, 2014.