Millington, New Jersey
|Millington, New Jersey|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST)|
It borders the southern side of the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge with access to Lord Stirling Park. The Passaic River forms its western and southern border. The Raptor Trust, a famous bird rehabilitation and education center within the Great Swamp is also inside the town limits.
Clover Hill Swimming Club was located there. It lost a 1966 civil rights case. In 2013, the lake is not sanitary for swimming. The only activity that takes place at this lake now, 2013, is fishing.
Students in public school attend the Long Hill Township School System for grades K-8 and attend Watchung Hills Regional High School in Somerset County for grades 9-12. Millington School is the only active school still located in the town. It houses grades 2-5 and had an enrollment of 505 students as of the 2005-06 school year.
The Town Hall used to be used as the old school house of the town, originally built in the 19th century.
The town has a train stop on the Gladstone Branch of the NJ Transit rail line, Millington Station. Millington Station was built in 1901, after the West Line Railroad was extended from Summit to Bernardsville during the years 1870–71. Millington Station was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on June 22, 1984. Another building on the register is the Boyle/Hudspeth-Benson House. See List of Registered Historic Places in Morris County, New Jersey for other examples in the area.
Garden State Fireworks, founded in 1890, is located there.
Millington Savings Bank started as Millington Building and Loan in 1911 in the town and has grown to other branches in the area.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Millington include:
- Jack H. Jacobs (born 1945), Medal of Honor recipient in 1969 for his heroic actions during the Vietnam War.
- Robert Tappan Morris (born 1965), computer scientist and entrepreneur best known for creating the Morris Worm in 1988, considered the first computer worm on the Internet.
- DP-1: Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 from the 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA5 07946, United States Census Bureau. Accessed May 19, 2016.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed May 19, 2016.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed June 8, 2016.
- Data for the Long Hill Township School System, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed August 10, 2008.
- Long Hill History website
- Millington Bank website Archived 2007-11-30 at the Wayback Machine.
- James, George. "COMMUNITIES; Those Whom We Honor", The New York Times, May 28, 2000. Accessed May 19, 2016. "'Especially now,' said Jack H. Jacobs, who received his medal for his service in Vietnam, as he recently sat sipping coffee in the kitchen of his big Victorian house in Millington."
- Sullivan, Frank. "Former resident convicted of creating computer 'worm', Echoes-Sentinel, February 1, 1990. Accessed May 19, 2016. "Former township resident Robert Tappan Morris Jr. was convicted last week of federal computer tampering charges for creating a 'worm' that penetrated and crippled 6,000 computers nationwide. Morris, 24, who grew up on Old Mill Road in Millington and now lives with his parents in Maryland, was suspended for a year from Cornell University graduate school after he was charged with the crime."