|Type||Association of UK universities|
MillionPlus, formerly known as million+, the Campaign for Mainstream Universities, and the Coalition of Modern Universities (CMU), is a membership organisation, which aims to promote the role of "modern universities" in the UK higher education system; it describes itself as "The Association for Modern Universities in the UK". MillionPlus is not for profit and funded by subscriptions from its members, currently 21 UK universities. While all of the member institutions are "new" universities, many have long histories as colleges and polytechnics.
Formed in 1997 as the Coalition of Modern Universities, the name was changed in 2004 to the Campaign for Mainstream Universities. In November 2007, the organisation was rebranded to million+. This name was chosen to reflect the fact that the member institutions educate over a million students. In April 2016, the organisation rebranded again to MillionPlus.
MillionPlus is involved in the political debate about the role and contribution of universities to the economy and society, where it is seen as representing the post-1992 universities, known as 'new' or 'modern'. As such, it is frequently quoted in the media on higher education topics, such as the Government's green paper on higher education reform, reform of the external examination system, and the economic diversity of the student population.
- Abertay University
- Anglia Ruskin University
- Bath Spa University
- University of Bedfordshire
- University of Bolton
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- University of Cumbria
- University of East London
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Glasgow Caledonian University
- University of the Highlands and Islands
- Leeds Trinity University
- London Metropolitan University
- London South Bank University
- Middlesex University
- Southampton Solent University
- Staffordshire University
- University of Sunderland
- University of West London
- University of the West of Scotland
- The University of Wolverhampton
- Laura Kennedy (30 October 2012). "What is the Million+ Group?". Which? University). Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- Peter Scott (4 March 2013). "University mission groups: what are they good for?". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Who we are: Our role". Million+. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Who we are: Members". Million+. Retrieved 5 April 2019.
- "University Challenge". The Good Schools Guide. Archived from the original on 31 December 2010. Retrieved 23 May 2011.
- Ellie Bothwell (15 January 2016). "Higher education Green Paper: Concerns over TEF timetable and fee caps". Times Higher Education.
- Aftab Ali (6 November 2015). "Government's higher education green paper is met with a negative response from students and student groups". The Independent.
- Chris Havergal (30 November 2015). "Universities oppose external examining reforms". Times Higher Education.
- Sean Coughlan (16 April 2016). "Wealthy students keep getting richer". BBC News.
- "Who we are: Governance". Million+. Retrieved 27 August 2016.