|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
Melissa Marie Green (left), Dani Artaud (center) and Allison Green (far right) in 2009.
|Origin||Huntington Beach, California|
|Genres||Electropop, hip-hop, crunkcore|
|Members||Melissa Marie Green (2007-)
Allison Maria Green (2007-)
|Past members||Dani Artaud (2007–2010)|
Millionaires is an American electropop group consisting of two sisters, Melissa Marie and Allison Maria Green. The group, formed in August 2007, is widely known for mixing heavily explicit lyrics with a heavy electropop backing. Ex member Dani Artaud was in the original line up. Their image and lyrics have generated strong controversy (mainly for using explicit words in nearly all of their songs). The group has released three EPs, a single "Stay the Night" - which managed to chart for a short time in the UK - and their debut album, Tonight, released in March 2013.
Millionaires started in late Summer 2007 "as an accident" when sisters Melissa and Allison Green used GarageBand. The song was titled "I Like Money", and the teens then created a corresponding MySpace profile named Millionaires. The third member, Dani Artaud, joined the group after Melissa Marie asked her to join. Later, they created their second song, called "Hoe Down".
At the time of their Myspace debut, they were considering releasing an EP with the title of 'La La Love' or 'Girls with Guns' with their GarageBand songs. This plan failed, they had a new EP plan with the title of 'Shit Bitch' which was later released as Bling Bling Bling! The five songs that made it to the EP were edited by Mark Maxwell. Many of the Myspace songs did not make it on the EP.
They began to perform shows locally and traveled only small distances for gigs. They got spots in music festivals such as Rockin' Roots, Bamboozle Left 2008, and Audio Overload 2008. By July 2008, they were ready to start touring and they went out on their first tour co-headlining with Breathe Carolina across California and other Western states. Later in July, they headlined the Get F$cked Up tour. That same month, they performed their Myspace smash "I Move It" on MTV's TRL as part of On the Radar, a segment where popular "hipster" bands perform.
They made a short song titled "Ooh Uh Huh", which became the theme song for MTV's reality show A Double Shot at Love with the Ikki Twins. Their song "Hey Rich Boy" was also used as the theme for MTV's Teen Cribs. Their song "Alcohol" was also featured on the soundtrack for the third series of Skins. Their songs "I Like Money" and "I Move It" were featured on the MTV show My Life as Liz. Their cover of Chic's song "Le Freak" is featured on the MTV movie Turn the Beat Around.
The girls started up again in January and February 2009 on their Just Got Paid, Let's Get Laid tour, which sold out on every stop. They also teamed up with hardcore techno DJ S3RL and made the Myspace single Martinis & Mixed Feelings, for which an electro/techno remix was made. On June 23, 2009, they released a new EP, titled Just Got Paid, Let's Get Laid, which had three songs from Bling Bling Bling! and two new songs. Their Christmas song "Rated Xmas" was released on December 16
Stay The Night, Label Changes and Dani's Departure (2010-2011)
Their long anticipated Debut album was set for release in 2010, after the group were signed to English record label B-Unique in late 2009. Their first official single "Stay The Night" was released in early 2010 to promote the upcoming album and the trio set out on two U.K tours for further promotion. Album tracks such as "Prom Dress" and Microphone" were released online, as well as a sample-mix of the album containing snippets of unreleased tracks "Hush Little Boyfriend" and "That's How We Party", (which as of 2014 remain unreleased).
After a brief period of no further promotion or updates, it was announced that Dani had left the group for numerous reasons, mainly her lack of enthusiasm for the project. During this time the group were also dropped from their U.K label, and the planned album had been scrapped. Five songs from their MySpace that had originally been planned for the album, along with Stay The Night, were released on an EP entitled "Cash Only" in September 2010. This would be the last release to feature Dani.
Brittany Green, their cousin, was originally planned to be Artaud's replacement, touring with the group as their DJ, but the sisters decided to continue on as a duo, releasing tracks online and starting over their debut album.
Debut album and mixtape (2012–present)
Their first confirmed single from their new album is titled "Drinks on Me" and was released on January 31, 2012 on iTunes; they then released a music video for the song. Ricky Hoover, former lead vocalist of the deathcore band Suffokate guest acts in the video as "Melissa's boyfriend."
As of May 15, 2012 their new mixtape Your Girl Does Party was released, with tracks featuring Kreayshawn, Trina, Diamond, Shanell Woodgett, Nightclub Fight Club, and Riff Raff. It was produced by Khris Lorenz.
Millionaires released their debut album March 13, 2013, entitled Tonight which featured 11 songs including the single Drinks On Me. Within 24 hours of the release, the album charted on the U.S iTunes with it appearing in the top 25 pop genre albums and also in the top 100 albums. Their debut album sold 697 copies in its first week. Millionaires performed on their album tour from April through June. During the tour, they debuted two unreleased remixes: a club remix of "Drinks On Me" produced by The Knuckledusters and a remix of "Dat Boi" featuring Trace Cyrus.
On March 28, 2014 Millionaires released a song called "Myspace Pic", free of download on their Soundcloud. "Myspace Pic"
Millionaires have headlined four tours: the "Get F$cked Up" tour from July–August 2008 with Hyper Crush, Brokencyde, And Then There Were None, and The Arrival; the "Just Got Paid, Let's Get Laid" tour from January–February 2009 with Cash Cash, I Set My Friends On Fire, and Watchout! Theres Ghosts; the Ka$h 4 Ku$h Tour with Brokencyde, Kill Paradise and The Hit; and their tour, the I Get Around Tour from June–July 2011 with Breathe Electric, Christian TV, Set It Off, and Big Heed and ALIen on select dates. Their latest tours have been the Loaded Tour with Mickey Avalon which lasted from June 3-July 1, 2012, and the #Your Girl Does Party Tour which lasted from July 2-July 18, 2012. Also, their album release tour, titled, The Tonight Tour, started April 12, 2013, and continued until mid June 2013. From May 20, 2013 to June 2, 2013 Millionaires toured with Brokencyde in the United Kingdom, Scotland, France, and Germany.
- They also co-headlined a tour across the West coast with Breathe Carolina in July 2008.
- They played at 2009 Vans Warped Tour on the Skullcandy stage and the Hurley.com stage.
- They played five shows in different areas of the United Kingdom in early December 2009. They were scheduled to play a second show in London on December 9, but it was canceled because of a cyst found inside Allison's lower abdomen, which required emergency surgery. In May 2010, Millionaires returned to the UK for a mini-tour. They played at the Slam Dunk festivals in both Hatfield and Leeds. They played at Middlesbrough Music Live on June 6, 2010.
- They co-headlined a short tour with Mickey Avalon called the Loaded tour, followed by the "Your Girl Does Party" tour.
- They headlined a US tour with direct support Ashland High and Lancifer in the spring of 2013.
- They co-headlined a short Europe tour with Brokencyde in May 2013.
- Millionaires went on a January / February 2014 tour.
- Millionaires toured with Blood on the Dance Floor, Trap House Rave and Haley Rose on the Bitchcraft Tour during the summer of 2014.
- Millionaires headlined a "DJ Set" tour in January / February 2015 with Koly Kolgate and Eryn Woods
- Tonight (2013)
- Bling Bling Bling! (2008)
- Just Got Paid, Let's Get Laid (2009)
- Cash Only (2010)
- Tonight (Remix Album) (TBA)
- Your Girl Does Party (2012)
- "MILLIONAIRES [3 NEW SONGS JUST POSTED!] op MySpace Music – Gratis gestreamde MP3’s, foto’s en Videoclips". Myspace.com. August 14, 2007. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- LEOR GALIL (July 14, 2009). "Scrunk happens – Music Features". Thephoenix.com. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- 7/31/08 (July 28, 2008). "7.28.2008 "The Millionaires" perform a live set on TRL. | MTV Photo Gallery". Mtv.com. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "WE ARE THE ’A DOUBLE SHOT AT LOVE’ THEME SONG!!! – MySpace-blog | van MILLIONAIRES [3 NEW SONGS JUST POSTED!]". Myspace.com. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "Album Sales Round-Up: Week of March 20th, 2013". Absolutepunk.net. Retrieved March 20, 2013.
- "Breathe Carolina w/ Millionaires, Brokencyde, Defending The Pilot". Retrieved August 11, 2009.[dead link]
- "Vans Warped Tour 2010: June 25 – August 15, 2010: Bands Appearing On The '10 Vans Warped Tour". Warpedtour.com. August 15, 2009. Retrieved April 23, 2010.
- "Millionaires Tour Dates Archives". Millionaires.tk. January 6, 2014. Retrieved February 25, 2014.