Millmerran Power Station
|Millmerran Power Station|
Location of Millmerran Power Station in Australia
|Construction cost||$1.5 Billion|
|Thermal power station|
|Primary fuel||Coal (Open-cut mine)|
The Millmerran Power Station is a coal-fired power station south of Millmerran in the Darling Downs region of Queensland, Australia. The power station was commissioned in 2002 and cost $1.5 billion to build. The power station is owned and operated by InterGen, a multinational company owned by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and AIG Highstar Capital II, a private equity fund sponsored by a subsidiary of American International Group, Inc.
Water is supplied via pipeline from the Wetalla sewage treatment plant in Toowoomba. The 850 MW plant uses air cooling technology to reduce water consumption. In 2002, when the plant became operational, wholesale prices for electricity fell by about one third to $20/MWh. This was due to the market strategy to bid at short run marginal cost - so with high efficiency plant and cheap coal, this had a significant impact on the market.
Millmerran Power Station which won the Banksia Environmental Award 2006 in the water category, supplies enough electricity to power approximately 1.1 million homes by selling all its electricity into the National Electricity Market (NEM).
Carbon Monitoring for Action estimates this power station emits 5.75 million tonnes of greenhouse gases each year as a result of burning coal. The Australian Government has announced the introduction of a Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme commencing in 2010 to help combat climate change. It is expected to impact on emissions from power stations. The National Pollutant Inventory provides details of other pollutant emissions, but, as at 23 November 2008, not CO2.
- InterGen press release, 25 April 2005. Shell and Bechtel Announce Sale of InterGen Retrieved 2008-05-18
- InterGen press release. 5 August 2005. Ontario Teachers’ and AIG Highstar Capital II buy InterGen for C$2.1 billion Retrieved 2008-05-18
- "Millmerran page at InterGen". Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Power station moves closer to reality". ABC News online. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 30 April 2002. Retrieved 2009-07-17.
- Robins, Brian (7 July 2003). "Plant a drain on power players". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2008-05-18.
- "Millmerran Coal, Australia page at power-technology.com". Retrieved 2008-11-10.
- Millmerran. Carbon Monitoring for Action. Retrieved on 23 November 2008