Millom railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1850|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Millom from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Millom Railway Station serves the town of Millom in Cumbria, England. The railway station is a stop on the scenic Cumbrian Coast Line 16 miles (26 km) north of Barrow-in-Furness. The station is owned by Network Rail and is operated by Northern who provide all passenger train services.
It was originally opened by the Whitehaven & Furness Junction Railway in 1850.
Until 1968, there was a short goods-only branch from here to the ironworks at Hodbarrow. This was abandoned after the works closed but the disused trackbed can still be seen from passing trains, whilst the old works site is now a nature reserve.
The booking office operates on a part-time basis (07:00 - 15:00, Mondays through Saturdays); outside these times tickets can be purchased from a vending machine on the southern side (as Northern have installed these at all stations on the route that didn't previously have them). Information screens and posters provide train running details for passengers. Both platforms have separate step-free access and are linked via a footbridge.
Monday to Saturdays, there is generally an hourly service southbound to Barrow-in-Furness and northbound to Carlisle (one terminates at Sellafield) - however there is no service northbound after 21:00, with the last few trains from Barrow terminating here. Some services extend from Barrow along the Furness Line to Lancaster and Preston.
Northern introduced a Sunday service from the station (for the first time since 1976) from the summer 2018 timetable change. This runs broadly hourly from mid-morning until early evening.
- "Hodbarrow, Millom, Cumbria - Featured Location Guide".
- "Places to Visit - Millom"Cumbrian Coast Line; Retrieved 14 November 2016
- "Fares 2019"Cumbrian Coast Rail Users Group news article; Retrieved 8 November 2019
- Millom station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 1 December 2016
- Table 100 National Rail timetable, May 2019
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Millom railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Millom railway station from National Rail
- Station information including train services, timetables, contact information, ticket office opening hours, facilities and service disruptions.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Cumbrian Coast Line
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|