Millwood Township, Guernsey County, Ohio
|Millwood Township, Guernsey County, Ohio|
Fields just east of Quaker City
Location of Millwood Township in Guernsey County
|• Total||27.20 sq mi (70.46 km2)|
|• Land||27.20 sq mi (70.44 km2)|
|• Water||0.008 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||1,184 ft (361 m)|
|• Density||52/sq mi (20.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086186|
Millwood Township is one of the nineteen townships of Guernsey County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 1,419, of whom 917 lived in the unincorporated portion of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Oxford Township - north
- Warren Township, Belmont County - east
- Somerset Township, Belmont County - southeast
- Beaver Township, Noble County - south
- Wayne Township, Noble County - southwest
- Richland Township - west
- Wills Township - northwest
One incorporated village is located in Millwood Township: Quaker City, near the township center. Salesville, in the western part of the township, is a former village which disincorporated in 2015. Leatherwood Creek flows through the township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Millwood township, Guernsey County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 19, 2017.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Me.: DeLorme. 1991. p. 72. ISBN 0-89933-233-1.
- Sarchet, Cyrus Parkinson Beatty (1911). History of Guernsey County, Ohio, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen & Company. p. 311.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.