Aukerman performing with the Descendents in 2014
|Birth name||Milo Jay Aukerman|
|Born||January 1, 1963|
|Labels||New Alliance, SST, Epitaph, Fat Wreck Chords|
|Associated acts||Descendents, All|
Milo Jay Aukerman (born January 1, 1963) is an American vocalist, songwriter, and former research biochemist. Aukerman is most widely known for being the lead singer of the punk rock band the Descendents, a group widely considered to be pioneers of modern "pop punk". While not an original member, he joined after their first single ("Ride the Wild" b/w "It's a Hectic World"). The first full length Descendents album (released in 1982) was titled Milo Goes to College, as he had gone to school at UC San Diego. The initial single had caricatures of the three original members, and the drawing used to symbolize Milo, invented by a high school classmate, was used on many of their albums. Aukerman has also provided backing vocals for other musicians, and, while attending college (between stints with the Descendents), briefly fronted the San Diego band "Milestone" who released one independently produced album.
Education and scientific career
Aukerman attended Mira Costa High School, with fellow members of the Descendents. He holds a doctorate in biology from UC San Diego, conducted postdoctoral research in biochemistry at the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and former worked as a plant researcher at DuPont in Delaware. In a 2016 interview with Spin, Aukerman announced that he decided to quit researching in favor of doing music full-time.
As a musician, Aukerman sings in a mid-range tenor, and his generally upbeat lyrics encompass such universal topics as girls/rejection, dependence upon caffeine, and the never-ending quest for good food. He is known for his bespectacled, unabashedly nerdy persona and self-deprecating, "anti-rockstar" demeanor.
The Descendents are still active on occasion, turning up in 2010, replacing Devo to headline the FunFunFunFest in Austin, TX on November 7 and playing Australia in December.
Aukerman has been married to Robin Andreason since 1996 and is the father of two children, Owen and Clair Andreason.
- James, Patrick (2013-01-01). "Filter 50: Milo Turns 50: Descendents Grow Up, Whether They Want to or Not". filtermagazine.com. Filter. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- Matins, Chris (August 30, 2012). "10 Hilariously Unpunk Revelations from the New Descendents Interview". Spin (magazine).
- Spurrier, Jeff (January 5, 1986). "Descendents hang out in never-never land". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 10, 2008.
- Milo Jay Aukerman (1992). "Analysis of opaque-2 Function in Maize.". Thesis (Ph.D.)--University of California, San Diego, 1992--Biology.
- Charles Glover (September 1995). "20 Questions with Milo Aukerman.". Juice magazine.
- "Punk's not dead. Does science.". ehu.es. February 11, 2011.
- Media related to Milo Aukerman at Wikimedia Commons
- Milo Aukerman - The Nerd King of Punk Rock (Interview)
- Hardcore Hall of Fame Interview
- An old Mac Scheme by one Milo Aukerman
|This article on a singer-songwriter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|