7 May 1983
Milo Moiré (French pronunciation: [milo mwaʁe]; born Sue Pruzina; 7 May 1983) is a Swiss conceptual artist and model known for her nude performances and the use of her body in her art. Moiré was born in Switzerland, of Slovak and Spanish origin, but works from Düsseldorf, Germany. She has an Art Academy background and a master's degree in psychology from University of Bern in Switzerland (magna cum laude). Moiré is known for performance art pieces include PlopEgg, The Script System No.2, and Mirror Box.
Moiré's PlopEgg No. 1, performed at Art Cologne 2014, was a work of action painting that involved the expelling of paint filled eggs from her vagina on to a canvas, thus creating an abstract work of art. The eggs contained ink and acrylic paint. A video description of the work states "At the end of this almost meditative art birth performance the stained canvas is folded up, smoothed and unfolded to a symmetrically reflected picture, astonishingly coloured and full of [strength]." The folding of the resulting canvas created a work which has been compared to a Rorschach test and a womb. Moiré writes: "To create art, I use the original source of femininity – my vagina."
The Script System No. 2
In June 2014, for The Script System No. 2, Moiré travelled to Art Basel naked with the names of items of clothing marked on her body in paint; she was refused entry, forcing her to dress to enter the exhibition. Of The Script System, she has said "[it] is inspired by the script theory of cognitive psychology. Each of us knows these scripts (e.g. restaurant script), recurrent, stereotyped action sequences, after which we work every day. Especially early in the morning on the way to work, we work almost automatically, often without awareness of our environment. These everyday blindness I wanted to break through my performance." Moiré claims that lacking an outer shell of clothes, the human body regains its ability to communicate without the distractions of money, fashion, ideology or even time. The experience of the art viewer is also transformed with the reaction or non-reaction of the public an integral part of the performance. Her first nude performance was in 2007 and she has performed nude ever since in order to provide an authentic and unmediated experience.
In July 2015, Moiré was arrested while posing for naked selfies with tourists in front of the Eiffel Tower.
In 2016 she performed naked to protest the 2015 New Year Eve sexual attacks in Germany.
The project, titled “Mirror Box”, saw the artist walk around various European cities with a large mirrored structure covering her body. Using a megaphone to attract attention, she would then invite strangers to stick their hands in the box, and fondle either her breasts or vulva for a 30-second period.
In her latest performance, in summer of 2016, which took place in several major cities: Düsseldorf, Amsterdam, and London, Moiré invited the public (people over the age of 18) to touch and fondle her genitals and breasts inside a mirror box, for 30 seconds per person. While performing in London, she was arrested by police and was fined £750, and ordered to pay £85 costs and a victim surcharge of £75. The performance resembles the work "Touch and Tap Cinema" by Valie Export, performed from 1968 to 1971.
Art or pornography
Moiré has deliberately placed herself on the interface between art and pornography with videos on her website described as "uncensored" that are available to view for a fee, and the naked performance of her works inviting the act of censorship by media outlets. Moiré has said that there should be no limit to art and that death is the only limit she accepts. She has cited Marina Abramović and Joseph Beuys as particular influences.
Writing about PlopEgg in The Guardian in a piece entitled, "The artist who lays eggs with her vagina – or why performance art is so silly", Jonathan Jones commented, "And yet it's not a strong statement at all. It is absurd, gratuitous, trite and desperate. Anywhere but an art gathering, this would be regarded as a satire on modern cultural emptiness." Jess Denham in The Independent commented, "Not long ago there was Lady Gaga's 'vomit artist', but now Milo Moiré is making her look tame", adding, "the latest desperate effort to shock in the name of art."
In 2015, Moiré was arrested by French police, and spent the night in the cells, after posing for naked "selfies" with tourists in front of the Eiffel Tower. The following year, she was arrested again in London for allowing members of the public to touch her vagina whilst placing their hands into a mirrored box around her waist.
- The Script System No. 1, performance video, 2013.
- The Split Brain, video, 2013.
- The Script System No. 2, performance video, Art Basel, 2014.
- PlopEgg No. 1 – A Birth of a Picture, performance work, 2014.
- Avanzini, Jana (14 July 2016). "Milo Moiré – wer die nackte Luzernerin wirklich ist". Zentralplus (in German). Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- Milo Moiré on Twitter
- Rittmeyer, Lena (23 June 2014). "Manche empfinden schon eine Brustwarze als pornografisch". Basler Zeitung. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- A naked mind dionisopunk.com, 7 May 2014.
- The artist who lays eggs with her vagina – or why performance art is so silly Jonathan Jones, The Guardian, 22 April 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- Swiss performance artist Milo Moiré 'gives birth to painting' using her vagina by Jess Denham, The Independent, 22 April 2014. Archived at Internet Archive. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- 20 Of The Most Confusing Performance Art Pieces Of All Time (NSFW) by Katherine Brooks, The Huffington Post, 26 June 2014.
- Jean Louis Legalery et Milo Moiré Mediapart, 24 April 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Performance : "The Script System" Art Basel, Basel 2014. Milo Moiré, 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Milo Moiré : «Depuis le début, je suis nue» by Valérie Duponchelle, Le Figaro, 25 June 2014.
- "Protest gegen sexuelle Gewalt auf der Kölner Domplatte |Frauenrechte". Milo Moiré. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Voyeurism, Nudity and Art? The Life and Work of Conceptual Artist Milo Moire (NSFW) - artFido's Blog". blog.artfido.com. Retrieved 2 May 2018.
- "Artist Milo Moire is arrested for inviting strangers to touch her breasts or genitals". Daily Mail Online. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- Kunst oder Pornografie?: Die nackte Provokation Thomas Schweres, Spiegal Online Video, 14 April 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Nude Performance Artist Milo Moiré Arrested in Paris. Henri Neuendorf, artnet.news, 6 July 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Artist arrested for getting strangers to stroke her genitals". Dazed. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 23 June 2016.