Milton Keynes urban area
Milton Keynes is a large town in (ceremonial) Buckinghamshire. The Milton Keynes urban area or Milton Keynes Built-up Area is a designation established by the United Kingdom's Office for National Statistics. As with other urban areas, it includes settlements that regard themselves as being outside Milton Keynes.
2011 Urban sub-areas
These are the subdivisions of the Milton Keynes urban area (built-up area):
|Urban Subdivision||Population (2011 census)|
|"Milton Keynes" (sic)*||171,750|
* This figure is for the remainder of Milton Keynes after deducting Bletchley, which has been part of Milton Keynes since 1967.
2001 Urban sub-areas
Unlike other long established towns and cities that have historic boundaries which the ONS had been using, Milton Keynes does not have any such readily usable boundaries and consequently it was assigned a number of new urban sub-areas. Accordingly, it defined a 'Milton Keynes urban area' composed of the contiguous built environment, with 'urban sub-areas' that map to the original urban and rural districts (and sometimes to the chronological phases of urbanisation within them).
Some of the "Urban Sub-areas" largely match the boundaries of the legacy local government areas that existed before its 1967 designation as a "new town". These were:
- Bletchley Urban District
- Wolverton Urban District
- Newport Pagnell Urban District
- Newport Pagnell Rural District
- Winslow Rural District
The corresponding modern Urban Sub-areas (with links to the relevant articles) were
- Bletchley USa
- Wolverton/Stony Stratford USa
- Newport Pagnell USa (but note that the M1 Motorway does not follow the historic boundary).
Newport Pagnell Rural was subdivided as development proceeded
The fragment of Winslow Rural in the designated area, Shenley Church End, was added to "Central Milton Keynes Urban Sub-area".
Note that the areas covered by these Urban Sub-area designations are larger (sometimes far larger) than the modern districts that share their names. This is particularly true of Central Milton Keynes US-a.
Calculation of population
- Part 1, Table KS01 Usual resident population: Census 2001, Key Statistics for urban areas
For the OS definition of an Urban Area, see the notes tab on the Excel version.
- "2011 Census - Built-up areas". ONS. Retrieved 3 July 2013.
- "Census 2001 Key Statistics, Urban areas in England and Wales". ONS. Retrieved 3 July 2013.