Milton M. Holland
|Milton M. Holland|
Sergeant Major Milton M. Holland
|Birth name||Milton Murray Holland|
August 1, 1844|
|Died||May 15, 1910(aged 65)|
|Place of burial||Arlington National Cemetery|
|Allegiance||United States of America
||United States Army|
|Years of service||1862 - 1865|
|Unit||5th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War
*Battle of Chaffin's Farm
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
|Other work||Founder and president, Alpha Insurance Company|
Milton Murray Holland (August 1, 1844 – May 15, 1910) was a Union Army soldier during the American Civil War and a recipient of America's highest military decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions at the Battle of Chaffin's Farm.
Holland was born as the son of white slaveowner Bird Holland (killed in action at the Battle of Mansfield) and Matilda, an enslaved African-American woman. He joined the Army from Athens, Ohio. At the Athens County Fairgrounds he signed to the recruitment rolls 149 young black men and raised what was to become Company C of the 5th United States Colored Infantry. He was serving as a Sergeant Major (a temporary assignment) in the 5th USCI when his unit participated in the Battle of Chaffin's Farm on September 29, 1864 in Virginia. Three days before the end of the war, on April 6, 1865, he was issued the Medal of Honor for his actions at Chaffin's Farm. He left the army in September 1865.
Medal of Honor citation
- Rank and organization: Sergeant Major, 5th U.S. Colored Troops.
- Place and date: At Chaffin's Farm, Virginia, September 29, 1864.
- Entered service at: Athens, Ohio.
- Born: 1844, Austin, Texas.
- Date of issue: April 6, 1865.
Took command of Company C, after all the officers had been killed or wounded, and gallantly led it.
- List of Medal of Honor recipients
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: G–L
- List of African American Medal of Honor recipients
- Melvin Claxton and Mark Puls, Uncommon valor : a story of race, patriotism, and glory in the final battles of the Civil War, (Wiley, 2006) (ISBN 0471468231)
- Perdreau, Connie. "A Biographical Sketch of Master Sergeant Milton Holland". Gen. Charles H. Grosvenor Civil War Round Table. Retrieved 28 August 2017.
- "Matilda Holland (1820 - 1905) - Find A Grave Memorial". www.findagrave.com. Retrieved 2017-09-13.
- From the Virginia Plantation to the National Capitol, by John Mercer Langston, pp 212-217
- African American Faces of the Civil War: An Album, by Ronald S. Coddington, pp 153-156
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.