|Course(s)||North Hills Country Club|
|Length||6,427 yards (5,877 m)|
|Ralph Guldahl, 268 (−16)|
The Milwaukee Open was a professional golf tournament in Wisconsin on the PGA Tour, played only in 1940. It was held August 2–4 at North Hills Country Club in Menomenee Falls, northwest of Milwaukee. Three-time major winner Ralph Guldahl shot a final round 67 (−4) to win the event at 268 (−16), two shots ahead of runner-up Ed Oliver. It was his first victory in sixteen months, since the Masters in 1939. The purse was $5,000 with a winner's share of $1,200.
Johnny Bulla led after 54 holes at 197 (−16), a new scoring record for the tour. Playing with Guldahl, he carded a 75 (+4) in the final round and fell into a tie for fourth, four strokes back. With nine holes remaining, Bulla led Guldahl by three strokes, but then shot 39 (+3) while Guldahl made up seven strokes with 32 (−4).
The 72-hole event began on Friday, and the final two rounds were played on Sunday. North Hills later hosted the Blue Ribbon Open (1951) and the final two editions of the Milwaukee Open Invitational (1960, 1961).
Sunday, August 4, 1940
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Ralph Guldahl||United States||68-67-66-67=268||−16||1,200|
|2||Ed Oliver||United States||66-66-70-68=270||−14||750|
|3||Sam Snead||United States||69-68-69-65=271||−13||550|
|T4||Johnny Bulla||United States||66-65-66-75=272||−12||375|
|Ben Hogan||United States||70-68-66-68=272|
Final nine holes
Cumulative tournament scores, relative to par
Other former PGA Tour events in Milwaukee
- Bartlett, Charles (August 4, 1940). "Bulla cards 131 to take lead in Milwaukee Open". Chicago Sunday Tribune. p. 6, sec. 2.
- "Ralph Guldahl wins Milwaukee Open golf". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). United Press. August 5, 1940. p. 2.
- Bartlett, Charles (August 5, 1940). "Guldahl wins in Milwaukee Open with 268". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. 19.
- "Guldahl makes blazing finish". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. August 5, 1940. p. 9.
- "Johnny Bulla leads Milwaukee Open". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. August 4, 1940. p. 10.