Min Aung Hlaing
|Min Aung Hlaing
|Born||1956 (age 59–60)
|Years of service||1974–present|
|Spouse(s)||Kyu Kyu Hla|
Early life and career
Born in 1956 in Tavoy, Tenasserim Division, Min Aung Hlaing passed Matriculation class in 1972 at BEHS 1 Latha. He attended and studied Law at the Rangoon Arts and Science University from 1973 to 1974 before he joined the Defense Services Academy 19th Intake in 1974. He was reportedly shunned by classmates because of his reserved personality.
Min Aung Hlaing's father name is U Thaung Hlaing. U Thaung Hlaing, a civil engineer, worked at the Ministry of Construction. Following graduation, Min Aung Hlaing went on to command positions in Mon State and in 2002, he was promoted to Commander of the Triangle Regional Command and was a central figure in negotiations with two rebel groups, the United Wa State Army (UWSA) and the National Democratic Alliance Army (NDAA).
In June 2010, Min Aung Hlaing replaced General Shwe Mann as Joint Chief of Staff of the Army, Navy, and Air Force. On 30 March 2011 he became the new Commander-in-Chief of the Myanmar Armed Forces, replacing the outgoing head of state and junta chief, Senior General Than Shwe.
In November 2011, according to the online newsmagazine The Irrawaddy, it was "widely believed" that following Min Aung Hlaing's meetings with Chinese military officials that month and his leadership in creating a bilateral agreement on defense cooperation with the Chinese, he had also held talks with Chinese Vice-President Xi Jinping regarding cooperation from China with respect to the Kachin Conflict.
On April 3, 2012, the Government of Myanmar announced that Min Aung Hlaing had been promoted to vice-senior general, the second highest rank in the Myanmar Armed Forces. He was promoted to senior general in March 2013.
- Vice-Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, Tatmadaw Commander-in-Chief, Alternative Asean Network on Burma, http://www.altsean.org/Research/Regime%20Watch/Executive/CIC.php
- David Paquette, "Min Aung Hlaing Appointed Vice-Senior General", The Irrawaddy, April 3, 2012.
- မင်းအောင်လှိုင်, ဗိုလ်ချုပ်မှူးကြီး (2 April 2011). "တပ်မတော်ကာကွယ်ရေးဦးစီးချုပ်သစ်နှင့် အမေရိကန် မြန်မာ တပ်မတော်နှစ်ရပ် ဆက်ဆံရေး - အပိုင်း (၁)". VOA news Burmese.
- "New commander in chief of defence services: General Min Aung Hlaing", Mizzima, March 30, 2011.
- Aye Aye Win, "Myanmar general defends military's political role", Associated Press, March 27, 2012.