Mind Reader (song)
|Single by Silverchair|
|from the album Young Modern|
|Released||23 February 2008|
|Genre||Alternative rock, hard rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Daniel Johns, Julian Hamilton|
|Producer(s)||Nick Launay |
|Silverchair singles chronology|
"Mind Reader" is a song by Australian alternative rock band, Silverchair, from their fifth studio album, Young Modern. The song was sent to Australian radio stations in January 2008 and released as the fourth and final single from the album. The song was co-written by the group's lead singer-guitarist, Daniel Johns, with Julian Hamilton of The Presets, who is responsible for the "don't know what you want" chorus. The single was released on 23 February 2008, as a digital download. It was the last Silverchair single – the group have been on an "indefinite hiatus" from May 2011.
Danielle O'Donoghue caught their live performance in May 2007 in Adelaide and felt that their "[n]ew song 'Mind Reader' fitted in well with the band's heavier rock past". Sean Lynch reviewed Young Modern for WebWombat and noted that there were times when Johns' vocals became annoying "you wish you could pull Johns aside and just say 'Mate, you sound like a dickhead - use that voice of yours and stop fucking up a potentially great song' (most notably on 'Mind Reader')". Matt Neal of The Standard rated Young Modern at No. 15 in his list of Top 100 Albums of '00s and praised the "deranged riffing" of "Mind Reader".
- Australian Promo (ELEVENCDPRO81)
- "Mind Reader"
- "Mind Reader" (live from Across the Great Divide)
- iTunes single
- "Mind Reader"
- "Mind Reader" (live video)
The live music video was footage from the Across the Great Divide tour in Melbourne.
- "Missy & Silverchair top the charts for 2007!". Access All Areas.net. 11 January 2008. Archived from the original on 2 February 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "New Australasian Releases". Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). February 2008. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- "'Mind Reader' at APRA search engine". Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). Archived from the original on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2014. Note: User may have to click 'Search again' and provide details at 'Enter a title:' e.g Mind Reader; &/or at 'Performer:' Silverchair
- Cooper, Nathanael (26 May 2011). "Silverchair in 'indefinite hibernation'". The Courier-Mail. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- O'Donoghue, Danielle (4 May 2007). "Silverchair worth the wait". The Advertiser. News Corp Australia. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Lynch, Sean (2007). "Silverchair – Young Modern". WebWombat. Retrieved 30 September 2014.
- Neal, Matt (9 March 2010). "The Top 100 Albums of the '00s – 20–11". The Standard. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 30 September 2014.