Minding the Gap
|Minding the Gap|
|Directed by||Bing Liu|
Minding the Gap is a 2018 documentary film directed by Bing Liu.  It chronicles the lives and friendships of three young men growing up in Rockford, Illinois, united by their love of skateboarding. It has received critical acclaim, winning the U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Filmmaking at the Sundance Film Festival, and was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at the 91st Academy Awards.
The film premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival and received the U.S. Documentary Special Jury Award for Breakthrough Filmmaking. In June 2018, Hulu acquired the distribution rights, and it was released theatrically and on Hulu on August 17, 2018. It aired on PBS on February 18, 2019, as part of the network's POV series.
Minding the Gap is Liu's first feature film. A. O. Scott of the New York Times called it an "astonishing debut feature" and "a rich, devastating essay on race, class and manhood in 21st-century America." Sophie Gilbert of The Atlantic called it "an extraordinary feat of filmmaking." Richard Brody of The New Yorker wrote that the images of skateboarding "are merely the background and context for the film," whose "substance — domestic trauma, systemic racism, and economic dislocation — is also the very stuff of society, and the near-at-hand intimacy gives rise to a film of vast scope and political depth." The film has a 100% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 107 reviews, with an average rating of 8.68/10. The site's consensus reads: "Minding the Gap draws on more than a decade of documentary footage to assemble a poignant picture of young American lives that resonates far beyond its onscreen subjects. Former U.S. President and Illinoisian Barack Obama cited the film as one of his favorites of 2018.
The film was nominated for an Independent Spirit Award for Best Documentary Feature and the Truer Than Fiction Award. It was nominated for five Critics' Choice Awards, and was named one of the Top Documentaries by the National Board of Review. It won the New York Film Critics Circle award for Best Non-Fiction Film. After being shortlisted, Minding the Gap was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 91st Academy Awards. 
- The 5 nominated documentaries and how to watch them – Vox
- Cleveland International Film Festival
- Evans, Greg (June 5, 2018). "Hulu Acquires Bing Liu' 'Minding The Gap'; Doc Nabbed Sundance Jury Award". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- France, Lisa Respers (22 January 2019). "Oscars 2019: See who's nominated". CNN. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- Metz, Nina (August 15, 2018). "A conversation with Bing Liu about his documentary 'Minding the Gap'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Phillips, Michael (27 December 2018). "Chicagoan of the Year: Bing Liu, Rockford filmmaker could make a splash at the Oscars". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- Scott, A. O. (August 16, 2018). "Review: 'Minding the Gap' Is an Astonishing Film About American Life". The New York Times. Retrieved November 20, 2018.
- Gilbert, Sophie (August 18, 2018). "Minding the Gap Is an Extraordinary Feat of Filmmaking". The Atlantic. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Brody, Richard (August 17, 2018). ""Minding the Gap," Reviewed: A Self-Questioning Documentary About What Happened to a Group of Young Skaters". The New Yorker. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "Minding the Gap". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Barack Obama on Instagram: "As 2018 draws to a close, I'm continuing a favorite tradition of mine and sharing my year-end lists. It gives me a moment to pause and…"". Instagram. 28 December 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- Lewis, Hilary (November 16, 2018). "Independent Spirit Awards: 'Eighth Grade,' 'First Reformed' Among Best Feature Nominees". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Erbland, Kate (October 15, 2018). "Critics' Choice Documentary Awards Nominees Announced: 'Free Solo,' 'Minding the Gap,' and 'Wild Wild Country' Lead Nods". Indiewire. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Lewis, Hilary (November 27, 2018). "'Green Book' Named Best Film by National Board of Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Sharf, Zack (29 November 2018). "NYFCC 2018 Winners: 'Roma' Dominates With Wins for Best Picture, Director, and More". Indiewire. Retrieved 13 December 2018.
- Buchanan, Kyle (17 December 2018). "Oscar Shortlists in 9 Categories Reveal Some Surprising Picks". New York Times. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "Free Solo" wins Best Documentary Feature-Oscars on YouTube