|Website||Mine Yoshizaki's Homepage|
Mine Yoshizaki (吉崎 観音, Yoshizaki Mine, born December 2, 1971) is a Japanese manga creator. His most well known works are Sgt. Frog, a manga he created which later received an anime adaption, and Kemono Friends, a multimedia franchise for which Yoshizaki serves as concept designer.
Yoshizaki was born in Isahaya, Nagasaki. As a graduate student of Nagasaki University, he started from drawing his own dōjinshi, based on video games that were famous at that time (somewhere in the 1980s). With that dōjinshi, he practiced and improved his drawing skills day by day. Yoshizaki said that his experience in drawing dōjinshi was the most priceless experience that he ever had. According to him, making dōjinshi gave him the opportunity to seek through the world of the manga industry, with all aspects from drawing to producing (meeting with printers, editing process etc.). This allows him to do all the work, rather working in a big-scale production company that lets him work in one particular branch.
He is best known for his manga Keroro Gunso, published as Sgt. Frog in the United States, which was first published in the Japanese manga magazine Shōnen Ace. He is also the creator of Arcade Gamer Fubuki and did character design on the series Seven of Seven. In 2005, Sgt. Frog received the 50th Shogakukan Manga Award for children's manga.
Due to various Gundam references, an ongoing Sgt. Frog anime was produced by Bandai. This led to Yoshizaki collaborating on certain Gundam projects, such as designing the mascot girls Reiko Holinger and Catharine Blitzen for the Gundam Card Builder game.
He has also been the designer of the Angel-XX figurine series from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
He later was a character designer for the Konami Gradius-type shooter Otomedius. This is significant because, instead of simply moving a fighter craft around, the player controls a unique character bound within a vehicle.
He has also designed a playable character called Angol Fear (a nod to his character Angol Mois in Sgt. Frog – they even wield similar weapons) to the fighting game Soulcalibur IV. He also is credited as concept designer for the Kemono Friends franchise, including the anime series.
- 1993–1995: FANTASWEAT
- 1993–1995: Detana!! TwinBee (spin-off from the video game Twin Bee)
- 1994–1995: 8BIT FIGHTER SHIEN
- 1995–1997: Space Juubei
- 1996–1998: VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire (tie-in manga)
- 1998–2002: Arcade Gamer Fubuki
- 1999–present: Sgt. Frog (story and design)
- 1999: Pop'n Tanks (character design)
- 2000–2003: Dragon Quest Monsters +
- 2005: Taisen Hot Gimmick: Axes-Jong (partial character design)
- 2007–2011: Otomedius (spin-off from the Gradius series)
- 2015: Kemono Friends (concept design)
- Wong, Amos. "Creator Profile: Mine Yoshizaki". (February 2007) Newtype USA. pp. 52-55.
- 小学館漫画賞: 歴代受賞者 (in Japanese). Shogakukan. Archived from the original on January 18, 2010. Retrieved August 19, 2007.
- Mine, Yoshizaki (January 2013). Yoshizaki Mine World = ALL ABOUT MINE YOSHIZAKI: 1988-2013. Kadokawashoten. ISBN 9784041103494. OCLC 840098166.
- けものフレンズプロジェクト公式サイト (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 2016-12-06. Retrieved May 31, 2017.