Ming Chuan University
Motto in English
|Honesty, Modesty, Respect, Fortitude|
|President||Lee Chuan (李銓)|
|Campus||Taipei, Taoyuan, Kinmen|
|Ming Chuan University|
Ming Chuan University (MCU; Chinese: 銘傳大學) is a selective private university in Shilin District, Taipei, Taiwan, and accredited in the United States of America. It was founded by Pao Teh-Ming (包德明) and her husband Lee Ying-Chao. The university was named after the famous progressive Qing Dynasty governor of Taiwan Liu Mingchuan.
Ming Chuan University was founded in 1957 by Dr. Teh-Ming Pao and Dr. Ying-Chao Lee. It was Taiwan's first women's business school. By far, the most significant influence on the development of this school has been its founder and first president, Dr. Teh-Ming Pao. As the government had just moved to Taiwan and the economy of that day was lagging behind that of others and that there was an urgent need to nurture business professionals, Dr. Pao invested herself in forming and operating a school that would be devoted to supporting national development. At the same time, she broke down the myth that women exist for convenience and are without talent, believing rather that education opportunities for women would increase their rights and contributions to society. Thus, in the fall of 1956, she began preparations for opening a school. On March 25 of the following year, the Ministry of Education approved its founding, and that fall, students were recruited for the beginning of formal classes.
The original plan called for Ming Chuan to be located in Danshui. However, a descendant of Liu Ming-Chuan, Madam Liu, for a variety of reasons, could not continue operating a Ming Chuan Orphanage that she had established on Zhong-Shan North Road. Madam Liu was hoping that someone could give her a hand in resolving this difficulty. In an act of kindness, Founder Pao took over the Ming Chuan Orphanage, which was later converted into the school of the same name.
In five short years following the establishment of the school, it had been faced with the test of having to move and rebuild twice. Finally, the College was relocated to its present site in the Shihlin District in 1962. During this time, due to being short of funds, Dr. Pao had to borrow money and raise financial support to operate the school, so the construction could not be completed at one go, rather in stages. Despite these difficulties, Dr. Pao still persisted valiantly; time and time again threats were turned into opportunities until the foundation for the school’s operation was established.
Since MCU started out as a commercial college, the original three-year day school consisted of Banking and Insurance, Accounting and Statistics, and International Trade and Business Administration programs. In 1960, Secretarial Science was added and Ming Chuan became part of the national junior college joint entrance examination program. The former four departments were formed into an evening program added in 1963. In 1964, the day school added a Commercial Mathematics department and Secretarial Science was added to the evening program. A five-year program, for junior high school graduates, was established in the same year, and had grown from 300 to 1400 students enrolled. The emphasis at Ming Chuan is on maintaining strict standards, encouraging keen effort in teaching, producing well-rounded students, matching instruction in theory with experience in application, and stressing both the humanities and technology. The Ministry of Education of the ROC promoted Ming Chuan to senior college status on July 16, 1990.
After more than 30 years of development, Ming Chuan’s campus on Mount Fu was full to capacity. In 1967, the school purchased gently sloping ground in Guishan Township (now Guishan District) of Taoyuan County (now Taoyuan City).
In 1995, a Kinmen County Education Advancement Investigation Team called on Ming Chuan to consider establishing a campus on Kinmen, hoping to elevate the level of education available there. In line with her educational philosophy, Founder Pao decided to establish a campus on Kinmen. With the establishment of this campus, Ming Chuan University became a comprehensive university with three campuses.
MCU's educational efforts on Kinmen campus have received many compliments and spread the renown of the university. In 2004, the Ministry of Education approved MCU to establish Matsu Executive Master's Programs to promote higher education in Kinmen and Matsu, and strive for the educational right for the local people. Founder Pao used to say, “It is MCU’s honor to serve the island residents”.
With the introduction of ICDF (international corporation development funding) scholarships, the university has seen a significant increase in the number of international students from all around the world; and is now largely known for being a university with a good population of international students.
- Excellence: MCU strives to apply strict educational guidance and principles that nurture learners while giving them a sense of responsibility and team spirit. Additionally, the University strives for excellence in teaching, learning, research and service.
- Professionalism: MCU puts great emphasis on industry-academia collaboration to reinforce theoretical knowledge and practical competence in order to provide students with lifelong learning opportunities and a multi-faceted education.
- Internationalization: MCU is focused on creating an international learning environment in order to expand the worldviews of faculty and students.
The University's Mascot is a whale named joy. The University uses a Whale as a mascot because they normally tend to have a long lifespan and good social relationship. They are smart, curious, clean, friendly and good at performance and sonar. Whales inhabit all the world’s oceans, which symbolizes that MCU people are broad-mind, smart, and have good connections.
Emblem and Flag
The University flag is red, white and blue and symbolizes the three principles of the people of a democratic republic, a new China. The Emblem which follows the color of the flag, comprises an ascending eagle, with three curved figures from the bottom to the top. The globe figure under the eagle represents internationalism and modernization. The meaning of the design is to encourage young scholars to lift themselves as the eagle does with its mighty wings, to have sharp eyes, to soar high and to not give up even though the journey is long.
Every year, Ming Chuan University celebrates its birthday/anniversary with its annual and highly anticipated cheerleading competition; where each department prepares for months leading up to the event. On the day of the event, The school president along with other heads of departments and special guests, sit and enjoy the different cheerleading routines and interval performances. Each team is judged by a panel of invited judges who determines team ranking based on various criteria. Top teams normally receive cash prizes which they can use toward preparing for the following year of competition.
- 1969 Central Committee, Outstanding Service Award
- 1980 Women’s Federation, Dedicated Service Award
- 1981 Lions Club International, Outstanding Educator Award
- 1984 Central Committee, Contribution to Promotion of Women and Nation Building Citation
- 1985 United Nations Educational Science and Culture Organization NGO International Association of University Presidents World Outstanding Female * * * Educator Award
- 1988 People To People International, Eisenhower Distinguished Award and Regional Leader Award
- 1988 Chinese National Amateur Athletics Association, Award for Outstanding Contributions in Support of Sports
- 1993 National Beijing University, Advisory Faculty Member
- 1995 Distinguished Citizens Society International, Chinese Person of Distinction Award
- 1995 Overseas Citizens Group, Chinese Elite Golden Dragon Award
- 1996 United Nations International Association of Universities Presidents, Commission on Arms Control Education, Honorary President
- 1996 ROC World Peace Association, Outstanding Women’s Award
- 1996 People To People International, Regional Leader Award
- 1997 International Association of University Presidents, Award of Excellence
- 2002 International Olympic Committee, Asian Football Confederation, Named “Mother of Asian Football”
Academic Program Overview
- Information Technology
- Education and Applied Languages
- Social Science
- Health Technology
- International College
- Aggie Hsieh (謝沛恩), entertainer
- Cheng Hsiao-tse (程孝澤), director of the movie 「渺渺」 (Miao Miao)
- Li Wo-shi, Magistrate of Kinmen County
- Margaret Huang (黃麗燕), CEO of Leo Burnett Group Taiwan
- Pan Wei Gang (潘維剛), legislator of the Republic of China
- "MCU Motto". MCU. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- "2013 International Development Cooperation Student Paper Competition,". Taiwan ICDF. 2014. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- Grand Opening of Ming Chuan University’s Michigan Campus (at SVSU)