Mini MPV— an abbreviation for Mini Multi-Purpose Vehicle— is a vehicle size class for the smallest size of minivans (MPVs). The Mini MPV size class sits below the compact MPV size class and the vehicles are often built on the platforms of B-segment hatchback models.
Mini MPVs are typically based on the platform of a B-segment (supermini/subcompact) hatchback, with a raised roof and five-door body. The raised roof allows for higher H-point seating and easy passenger access compared with traditional hatchbacks. Often the rear seats can recline, slide, tumble, fold flat or easily be removed, allowing users to reconfigure the rear passenger and cargo volumes for each journey.
The segment was created as a result of the diversification of minivans in the late 1990s. An early usage of the term mini-MPV was in 2000, although the vehicles referred to at the time would now be classified as compact MPVs.
In 2018, sales of mini-MPVs in Europe represented 1% of the total market. The top five selling mini-MPVs in Europe in 2018 were the Fiat 500L, Honda Fit/Jazz, Hyundai ix20, Kia Venga and Ford B-Max.
The sales trend for previous years is:
- 2012: 411,833 sales
- 2013: 450,897 sales
- 2014: Sales plateaued at just over 400,000 annual sales, as sales of small crossovers increased.
- 2015: Sales fell 15% to 350,000 as small crossover segment increased. This was the lowest figure for the segment since 2003 when the first generation Opel Meriva appeared.
- 2016: By the first quarter, sales fell 20% after the 15% drop in 2015. The Fiat 500L was the segment sales leader.
In the United States, sales of mini-MPV's are small, with the Fiat 500L recording 30,000 sales in total from 2013–2017.
In Canada, as of 2013, the market for mini-MPV's wasn't "large, and even the overarching minivan segment is gradually shrinking as the industry expands."
- "Our pick: Top 10 used mini-MPVs". Auto Trader. 3 August 2010. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- May, James (July 3, 2004). "As seen on TV: Get a life, not a mini-MPV". The Telegraph.
- "A family van in 4x4 clothing". Daily Telegraph. 5 December 2000. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- Chapman, Giles (17 May 2003). "The Space Race". Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "European sales 2018 small MPV segment". www.carsalesbase.com. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 24 March 2019.
- Demandt, Bart (February 4, 2014). "European sales 2013 Small MPV segment". Carsalesbase.com.
- Demandt, Bart (February 14, 2015). "European sales 2014 Small MPV segment". Carsalesbase.com.
- Demandt, Bart (February 3, 2016). "European sales 2015 Small MPV segment". Carsalesbase.com.
- Demandt, Bart (November 26, 2016). "European sales 2016 Q1-Q3 small MPV segment". Carsalesbase.com.
- "Fiat 500L sales in USA". Carsitaly.com.
- Cain, Timothy (July 16, 2013). "Canada's ever-changing mini-MPV sales race". Autofocus.ca.