Minister of Communications and Information Technology (India)
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (India). (Discuss) Proposed since January 2016.|
|Minister of Communications and Information Technology
संचार और सूचना प्रौद्योगिकी मंत्री
|Appointer||President (on the advice of the Prime Minister)|
- Department of Telecommunications
- Department of Electronics and Information Technology
- Department of Posts
The following cadre controlling authority of the Civil Services (including Indian Telecommunication Service, Indian Postal Service, Indian Radio Regulatory Service, Telegraph Traffic Service and Indian Posts and Telegraphs Accounts and Finance Service) are under the administration and supervision of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
Department of Telecommunications
Also known as the Door Sanchar Vibhag, this department concerns itself with policy, licensing and coordination matters relating to telegraphs, telephones, wireless, data, facsimile and telematic services and other like forms of communications. It also looks into the administration of laws with respect to any of the matters specified, namely:
- The Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885)
- The Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1940 (17 of 1933)
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997 (24 of 1997)
Public sector units
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- Indian Telephone Industries Limited
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited
- Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing
- Telecom Engineering Center
- Controller of Communication Accounts
- Telecom Enforcement Resource and Monitoring (TERM) cells, formerly known as Vigilance & Telecom Monitoring (VTM) cells
A need was felt in the year 2007 to distinctly address the issues of Communication Network Security at DOT (HQ) level, consequent to enhancement of FDI limit in Telecom sector from 49% to 74% and therefore a new wing, named Security was created in DOT (HQ).
- e-Government: Providing e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services
- e-Industry: Promotion of electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry
- e-Innovation / R&D: Implementation of R&D Framework - Enabling creation of Innovation/ R&D Infrastructure in emerging areas of ICT&E/Establishment of mechanism for R&D translation
- e-Learning: Providing support for development of e-Skills and Knowledge network
- e-Security: Securing India’s cyber space
- e-Inclusion: Promoting the use of ICT for more inclusive growth
- Internet Governance: Enhancing India’s role in Global Platforms of Internet Governance.
The Minister of Communications and Information Technology is the head of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology and one of the cabinet ministers of the Government of India.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|