Minister of Health (Canada)
|Minister of Health|
|Department of Health|
|Appointer||Governor General of Canada|
|Term length||At Her Majesty's pleasure|
|Inaugural holder||David Dingwall|
|Formation||July 12, 1996|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The Minister of Health (French: Ministre de la Santé) is the Minister of the Crown in the Canadian Cabinet who is responsible for overseeing health-focused government agencies including Health Canada and the Public Health Agency of Canada, as well as enforcing the Canada Health Act (the law governing Canada's universal health care system). The current Minister of Health is Jane Philpott, MP for Markham—Stouffville.
The Minister of Health is responsible for maintaining and improving the health of Canadians. This is supported by the Health Portfolio which comprises:
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Health Canada
- Patented Medicine Prices Review Board
- Public Health Agency of Canada
The Health Portfolio consists of approximately 12,000 full-time equivalent employees and an annual budget of over $3.8 billion.
Prior to 1944, the responsibilities of the current Health portfolio were part of the now-defunct post of Minister of Pensions and National Health. From 1944 to 1996, the post was known as the Minister of National Health and Welfare.
Philpott is the first medical doctor to hold the post.
|No.||Portrait||Name||Term of office||Political party||Ministry|
|1||David Dingwall||July 12, 1996||June 10, 1997||Liberal||26 (Chrétien)|
|2||Allan Rock||June 11, 1997||January 14, 2002||Liberal|
|3||Anne McLellan||January 15, 2002||December 11, 2003||Liberal|
|4||Pierre Pettigrew||December 12, 2003||July 19, 2004||Liberal||27 (Martin)|
|5||Ujjal Dosanjh||July 20, 2004||February 5, 2006||Liberal|
|6||Tony Clement||February 6, 2006||October 29, 2008||Conservative||28 (Harper)|
|7||Leona Aglukkaq||October 30, 2008||July 15, 2013||Conservative|
|8||Rona Ambrose||July 15, 2013||November 4, 2015||Conservative|
|9||Jane Philpott||November 4, 2015||Incumbent||Liberal||29 (J. Trudeau)|
- "Indemnities, Salaries and Allowances". Parliament of Canada.
- Laura Fraser, "Rookie GTA MP Jane Philpott takes on health portfolio," CBC News, Nov. 4, 2015.
- "Health Portfolio". Government of Canada. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Jane Philpott, first MD to be named health minister, on mission to help poor". National Post. Retrieved 5 November 2015.