Ministry of Children and Youth Services (Ontario)
|Ministère des Services à l'enfance et à la jeunesse (French)|
|Government ministry overview|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Ontario|
|Headquarters||14th floor, 56 Wellesley Street West, Toronto, ON, M5S 2S3
|Employees||2,259 (as of 31 March 2013 (full-time))|
|Annual budget||$ 4,007.2 (2012-13 fiscal year in millions) |
|Child Government ministry|
The Ministry of Children and Youth Services is responsible for services to children and youth in the Canadian province of Ontario. The ministry was created in 2003 to coordinate services for families with children. It manages and monitors Children's Aid Societies throughout the province. It also assists young adults in making the transition to adulthood. The agency is headquartered in the Macdonald Block in Toronto.
The ministry operates correctional facilities for juveniles who are convicted of crimes.
Secure juvenile facilities include:
- Bluewater Youth Centre (Goderich) (This Youth Centre has shut down in 2012)
- Brookside Youth Centre (Cobourg)
- Camp Dufferin (hidden location)
- Donald Doucet Youth Centre (Sault Ste. Marie)
- Cecil Facer Youth Centre (Greater Sudbury)
- Portage Youth Centre (Kenora)
- Ge-Da-Gi-Binez Youth Centre (Fort Frances)
- William E. Hay Youth Centre (Ottawa)
- Justice Ronald Lester Youth Centre (Thunder Bay)
- Roy McMurtry Youth Centre (Brampton)
- Sprucedale Youth Centre (Simcoe)
List of Ministers
- Marie Bountrogianni, 2003-2005 (was Children's Services from 2003-2004)
- Mary Anne Chambers, 2005-2007
- Deb Matthews, 2007-2009
- Laurel Broten, 2009-2011
- Eric Hoskins, 2011-2012
- Laurel Broten, 2012-2013
- Teresa Piruzza, 2013-2014
- Tracy MacCharles, 2014-June 2016
- Michael Coteau, 2016–present
- "Contact Us." Ministry of Children and Youth Services. Retrieved on September 15, 2010.
- " Youth are found guilty of offences, they are not convicted. About Youth Justice Services in Ontario Archived 2010-08-23 at the Wayback Machine.." Ministry of Children and Youth Services. Retrieved on 15 September 2010.
- "Secure Custody Facilities for Youth Archived 2010-07-27 at the Wayback Machine.." Ministry of Children and Youth Services. Retrieved on September 15, 2010.