Ministry for Primary Industries (New Zealand)
|Māori: Manatū Ahu Matua|
|Formed||30 April 2012|
|Annual budget||Total budgets for 2019/20|
Vote Agriculture, Biosecurity, Fisheries and Food Safety
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI; Māori: Manatū Ahu Matua) is the public service department of New Zealand charged with overseeing, managing and regulating the farming, fishing, food, animal welfare, biosecurity, and forestry sectors of New Zealand's primary industries.
Formed in April 2012, MPI is a merger of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), the Ministry of Fisheries (MFish), and the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (NZFSA).
At the 2017 general election, Labour campaigned on disestablishing the Ministry and restoring the previous agencies. However, MPI was not disestablished; instead, it was restructured with Fisheries New Zealand, Forestry New Zealand, Biosecurity New Zealand and New Zealand Food Safety established as new business groups within the larger agency, alongside an agriculture and investment services unit.
Te Uru Rākau, the New Zealand Forest Service, was re-established in May 2018 after its 1987 disestablishment. It is based in Rotorua.
The Ministry is structured into eight sections. Each section is led by a deputy director-general.
- Biosecurity New Zealand
- Fisheries New Zealand
- New Zealand Food Safety
- Agriculture and Investment Services
- Te Uru Rākau (New Zealand Forest Service)
- Policy and Trade
- Public Affairs
- China Relations
- Corporate Services
The Ministry serves 6 portfolios, 4 ministers, an associate minister and a parliamentary under-secretary.
|Hon Damien O'Connor||Lead Minister (Ministry for Primary Industries)
Minister of Agriculture
Minister for Biosecurity
|Hon Stuart Nash||Minister of Forestry
Minister for Oceans and Fisheries
|Hon Kieran McAnulty||Minister for Rural Communities|
|Hon Meka Whaitiri||Minister for Food Safety||Associate Minister of Agriculture (Animal Welfare)|
|Jo Luxton||Parliamentary Under-Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture|
List of Ministers for Primary Industries
(for political parties)
|No.||Name||Portrait||Term of office||Party|
|1||David Carter||14 December 2011||28 January 2013||Key|
|2||Nathan Guy||28 January 2013||26 October 2017|
- Biosecurity in New Zealand
- Regulation of animal research in New Zealand
- ^ "Summary Tables for the Estimates of Appropriations 2019/20 – Total Appropriations for Each Vote". Budget 2019. The Treasury.
- ^ Carter, David (6 March 2012). "MAF to become Ministry for Primary Industries" (Press release). New Zealand Government.
- ^ O'Connor, Damien (13 December 2017). "O'Connor announces stronger focus for MPI". Beehive.govt.nz. New Zealand Government. Retrieved 21 November 2021.
- ^ "Resurrection of forestry service celebrated". NZ Herald. Retrieved 14 February 2023.